Private key field in the SSH Key secure note

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Private key field in the SSH Key secure note

Postby lafayette » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Background:
Thank you very much for adding the SSH Key secure note template! I've been storing my keys in LP for a while in three separate notes for each key (public/private/passphrase) and I'm trying to convert them to the new template format. The problem is that the private key field is a single line text field, while most of the time private keys are stored in the multi-line PEM format. I'm not certain if whitespace matters to consumers of the private key (I could not find much information on this online), but at the very least it is important to be able to preserve the copiable/readable format that contains newline characters.

Feature Request:
Convert the 'Private Key' field in the SSH Key secure note template to a multi-line text area input.
lafayette

Re: Private key field in the SSH Key secure note

Postby bracyp » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:53 am

I've been using the SSH Key template to store my PGP keys and once I paste the multi-line key into the key fields and save them. The multi-line does show up properly for me. So this may not be an issue as you suggest. See if this is something that only I am seeing or not. I suspect that you haven't used it yet just because on entry it is a single line. I hope it works for you.
bracyp

Postby lafayette » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks for the advice @bracyp, but pasting text with newlines into the 'Private Key' field just converts them to spaces for me. I should mention that I primarily use the Chrome extension, but the same thing happens for me in the web interface as well.

What LP client are you using to create your secure notes?
lafayette

Postby jjrussell104 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:18 am

I have the same problem with my ssh private key. I just saved it in the note, which is not as cool, but saves the whitespace which is important to the key.
jjrussell104

Postby profundo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:05 am

Same problem too. The "Private Key" field of the "SSH Key" template in Secure Notes should be a text area to preserve new lines.

I've resorted to using a Site with contents of my public and private keys in the Notes field and my passphrase in the Password field.
profundo

Postby sbuttgereit » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:04 am

Ditto the comments above; single line text field won't work most of the time. It preserves enough of the formatting that I could probably recover the key with a little manual manipulation, but would prefer not too :-) .

This will also be a problem for the public key as well, though less important if you have the private key.
sbuttgereit

Postby Gisleburt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 am

I'm using the note field to store the private key but it's not very handy.
Gisleburt

Postby Vietfeir » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Looks like this topic went stale but I still find it problematic. I want to store the PEM format of a private key but the single line text box makes it impossible in the secure note format for keys
Vietfeir

Postby jschroeder9000 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Same issue here. Seems like a pretty significant oversight...
jschroeder9000

Postby mars » Mon May 19, 2014 6:58 pm

LastPass corrupts the private key for us as well :(
mars

Next

Return to Feature Requests