LastPass fails to recognise Lenovo X220 fingerprint reader

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

LastPass fails to recognise Lenovo X220 fingerprint reader

Postby mike_rennie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:16 am

Hi all,

A long-time LastPass user, after the purchase of a Lenovo X220 laptop I recently upgraded my account to paid in order to utilise LastPass's fingerprint functionality. However, after upgrading my account I was devastated to find this message in the security tab of my online vault account settings: "No supported fingerprint or card reader detected".

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

It seems bizarre that LastPass would fail to recognise the fingerprint reader of one of the top business-class laptop models of one of the leading companies in the IT industry...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

P.s. my fingerprint reader works flawlessly and seamlessly with the Lenovo security software, native Windows 7 software/functionality, and with other 3rd-party software...
mike_rennie

Re: LastPass fails to recognise Lenovo X220 fingerprint read

Postby Israel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:52 pm

We only support Authentec and UPEK readers, as detailed on this page : http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security-o ... ngerprint/
Israel
Site Admin

Postby mike_rennie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Israel wrote:We only support Authentec and UPEK readers, as detailed on this page : http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security-o ... ngerprint/

The indicated page lists the only supported fingerprint readers as:

- 'AuthenTec fingerprint readers on computers running Windows 7+, the latest version of AuthenTec TrueSuite, and Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome'...
- 'UPEK (now a part of AuthenTec) fingerprint readers on computers running Mac OS X 10.4+, the latest version of TrueSuite for MAC, and Safari, Firefox, or Chrome'...

The integrated fingerprint readers in Lenovo notebooks ARE Upek readers. The Upek and Lenovo websites and documentation state this, and the Windows Device Manager confirms it; clicking on 'Biometric Devices' reveals a 'TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor (WBF advanced mode)', which is a Upek device. The properties tab of the device lists Upek as both the Manufacturer and source of the driver. As mentioned on the Upek website, the Lenovo fingerprint and security software is also just a rebranded and customised version of Upek's Protector Suite. Hence, I do not understand why LastPass does not recognise the Lenovo fingerprint reader as a supported device?

The same page you provided the link to [http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security-options/fingerprint/] indicates that LastPass checks for a 'supported' fingerprint device by finding the presence of either of the following drivers:

- 'Please ensure TrueAPI.dll is present on your system (typically in C:\Program Files\Common Files\AuthenTec)'...
- 'Please ensure VtApi.framework is present on your system (typically in /Library/Frameworks'...

If I am interpreting everything correctly, then perhaps the error lies here. Your website lists AuthenTec and Upek readers as supported, however as quoted above it states 'AuthenTec...on...Windows 7+' and 'UPEK...on...Mac OS X 10.4+.' The Lenovo readers are Upek, but run on a Windows 7+ OS. Does LastPass check for the presence of a Upek device/drivers on a Windows OS? If not, it would seem relatively simple to resolve this issue by simply adding this option/functionality to LastPass, and would be of obvious advantage to your company...

As my device IS a Upek one, is there any way I am able to get the LastPass Online Vault's security tab/section to recognise my device as 'supported'? Perhaps if I were to simply install only the mentioned VtApi.framework or TrueAPI.dll in the listed locations? If this would resolve the issue, please provide me with a copy of these files, as I have been unable to locate stand-alone versions of them on the web.

Regards,

Mike
mike_rennie

Postby $bill » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:39 am

Just an idea, as I have no recent experience with Lenovo and Lastpass...
Looks like AuthenTec sells the TrueSuite here-
http://www.authentec.com/a/truesuite_pc.aspx
and has a trial.
$bill

Postby orenao » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:35 am

Hi Mike,

I have a ThinkPad T410 and am having the same issue. It's been a year since they released fingerprint support but I still haven't been able to get it to work on the ThinkPad, and I specifically upgraded to Premium for that feature as well! Pretty disappointed at this point.

-Oren
orenao

Postby Israel » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:51 pm

We support WBF now - any reader that uses the standard windows biometric framework APIs should function. If you have a UPEK reader for windows that utilises old custom APIs, it will not function with LastPass.
An authentec reader requires truesuite be installed.
Israel
Site Admin

Postby helo12 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:13 am

I have the same issue here, ubuntu 64bit. What do i need todo
helo12

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting