how does last pass allow password sharing

Moderators: azitnay, admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

how does last pass allow password sharing

Postby earl990 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Okay,

I thought lastpass only stored our encrypted blob of data that made up our passwords since they were encrypted on our local computer with our master password, which lastpass doesn't store. So how can I share a password with someone else unless another key, besides my master password, is also used to encrypt the blob of data?
earl990

Re: how does last pass allow password sharing

Postby jpenny84 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:04 pm

Asymmetric encryption is used to securely transmit the passwords. Shared passwords are encrypted with the recipients public sharing key and decrypted by the recipient with their private key.
jpenny84

Postby earl990 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:04 pm

okay so I have a password that I store in my vault. It is encrypted on my computer via their java script and the encrypted blob is stored in last pass. I decide to share this password. So on my computer the last plugin is reaching out in last pass cloud to get the user I am sharing with public key, re-encrypting the password on my local computer with my master password or some derivative of that, and the public key for the shared user. If the user doesn't have an account how does it get a public key for that user, since they would not have created a private key as I am assuming the private key is partly based on the master password which doesn't exits. Is their documentation on this some where? I have seen the podcast by steve gibson on the initial LastPass java script and how they secure the password, but at the time they did not offer the ability to share a password.
earl990

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:08 pm

If the recipient doesn't have an account, then they have to make one and sign in to an extension once to generate a key pair.
jpenny84

Postby earl990 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:20 pm

but last pass will let you share a password without the person logging in so what is it using because I am not prompted that the use doesn't have a login. It shows that the password is shared.
earl990

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:12 pm

They have to create an account and generate sharing keys to complete the sharing process. If they truly don't have an account, then the share item will be marked as pending in your sharing center.
jpenny84

Postby ethanmoore1985834 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:05 am

Is it possible that I can share password with my remote team? by giving access to the same account?
How many persons can use this account that I possess?
ethanmoore1985834

Return to Off Topic