Manager by Your Organization in Chrome browser

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Manager by Your Organization in Chrome browser

Postby sudheerparimi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:04 am

I recently started using Lastpass on my personal machine, and suddenly one day i noticed the message "Managed by your Organization" message in the menu drop-down. Does Lastpass Chrome browser extension enables this? or could this be a malware? Can some one please confirm this?

Thanks,
Sudheer.
sudheerparimi

Re: Manager by Your Organization in Chrome browser

Postby toolworker » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:43 pm

I'd really like an answer to this too. (The correct message is "Managed by Your Organization.")

I save passwords in Chrome on my home PC, which I consider secure, and also store them in LastPass for my laptop. But when this message comes up, it turns off password savings in Chrome.

It can be removed by running regedit, and (according to this post) deleting the following two folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome

(I've only ever seen the one managed policy in the folders, but if you see more, you might only delete the managed key.)

I've done this successfully three or four times, but something keeps putting the restriction back.

Does anyone know if LastPass is responsible?
toolworker

Postby jpenny84 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:39 pm

The administrator can call LastPass if they wish and ask directly. That phone number is located in the support section in the upper left hand corner of the admin console.
jpenny84

Postby toolworker » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:36 pm

I have some evidence that LastPass is the culprit.

1. When I got back to my PC after lunch today, there was a LastPass vault icon on my desktop.
2. Chrome said "Managed by your organization." It didn't say that yesterday.
3. Checking in Add and Remove Programs, I see LastPass was installed (presumably updated) today.
toolworker

Postby toolworker » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:58 pm

Solved (as far as possible).

LastPass admits that it is responsible. They say:

"LastPass extension uses a chrome api that is only ever supposed to be used when chrome is being managed by an organization. ... Unfortunately there is no way to stop that registry key from being inserted."

However they say that deleting it will not interfere with LastPass.
toolworker

Postby merinber » Thu May 14, 2020 4:24 pm

This confirms the suspicions I had all along. Chrome displays that my browser is being managed by my organization. I know which registry keys to delete to get rid of the message. But once LastPass is updated (LastPass icon suddenly appears on my desktop), the message re-appears in the Chrome settings menu.

Developers, please change this in LastPass! It is very annoying.
merinber

Postby toolworker » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:17 pm

When I see a red LastPass shortcut on my desktop, that's a red flag that it has updated, and incidentally set my browser to once again to be mangled by their organization. Then I know to run regedit and once again delete the offending registry entry.

It would be nice if they at least provided a utility to do that, but it only takes me a minute. It would be better if they bothered to look up the registry key beforehand and put it back afterward.

It's sad to think how many LastPass users there are who can no longer use these useful features of Chrome and have no clue that it is LastPass that's depriving them.
toolworker

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting