Password

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Password

Postby credlandjohn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:16 am

I have a sight where I imput my password with certain letters requested instead of the whole password. Example: say password was last pass the site will ask for 3rd, 5th and 8th letters only. Every time I log in the letter sequence will be different. Last pass doesn't want to recognise so I have an issue for this site. How can I resolve it.
credlandjohn

Re: Password

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:20 pm

LastPass does not support these types of logins due to the fact that it's a poor security practice. The site is undoubtedly storing the password in plaintext, which is inexcusable in today's security environment.

The best practice I can think of is to find a way to map the password out in a secure note or something, so you can have a quick way to reference it.
jpenny84

Re: Password

Postby browner87 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:13 am

It's not necessarily storing the password in plaintext. It's a dumb practice for sure, but when a user sets/chances a password you can precompute a few dozen permutations of specific characters and keep a hash of those.

That said, when going to log into that website I would click the "Edit" button on the Laspass extension which will open the password in a new tab and you can copy paste the letters out from there. Or if it's a regular problem then use a note like suggested and maybe number each character in the note so you can easily pick out the ones asked for without counting every time.
browner87

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting