Lower Case "L"

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Lower Case "L"

Postby wlc568 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:20 pm

I'm a new user to LastPass and I am still using the free version until I am satisfied with the features of the product. I was pleased to see the feature that identifies all the weak or repetitive passwords that I use and spent sometime yesterday updating my passwords using the automatic password generator. One of the passwords I updated was the password for my email.

Since then, I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my email logon today as I could not get my email software to connect with my email. The message I kept getting was that I had a wrong ID or password... and yet I knew the password I was manually entering was correct. Well, I thought it was.

It turned out that the problem was that I thought a lower case "L" was the number "1." Since then I have looked carefully at the way these two characters are displayed by LastPass and the difference is so subtle as to be indistinguishable.

May I suggest that you eliminate the lower case "L" and the number "1" from the automatic password generator system? I'm not suggesting you eliminate the characters but rather that LastPass not automatically generate these two characters that are all but impossible to tell apart.

I realize that this suggestion may go into the waste basket, but I can assure you that I will never let LastPass generate a password containing either of these characters again.

Best wishes,
Bill
wlc568

Re: Lower Case "L"

Postby jpenny84 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:39 pm

There's already an option in the password generator to remove ambiguous characters. Just select "easy to read" from the advanced options.
jpenny84

Postby wlc568 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:12 am

First, I want to be clear: I appreciate your response but...

How would one conclude that "easy to read" eliminates ambiguous characters?

Furthermore, in my copy of LastPass, under Advanced Options, my choices are: Import, Export, Deleted Items, History, Credit Monitoring, Bookmarklets, One Time Passwords, Open All Favorites, Manage Indentities, Generate Secure Password.

My recommendation is really quite simple: Since there are apparently more issues with ambiguity than the problem I encountered, eliminate them all and save the end user the experience I had. What's so difficult about solving the problem at the root? Without encountering the difficulty, how would anyone expect it to occur?

Perhaps you have a more effective recommendation.
wlc568

Postby FlyingHawk » Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm

wlc568 Wrote:How would one conclude that "easy to read" eliminates ambiguous characters?

Seems very clear to me. Perhaps you can recommend a better phrasing.

wlc568 Wrote:My recommendation is really quite simple: Since there are apparently more issues with ambiguity than the problem I encountered, eliminate them all and save the end user the experience I had. What's so difficult about solving the problem at the root? Without encountering the difficulty, how would anyone expect it to occur?

This would be an unacceptable solution.
People normally expect password generators to use full range of characters possible. If LP removes characters by default, it'd be perceived as weak or even dishonest or unnecessary fiddling, and may bring bad press. You can bet people would be angry and demand full range of characters the moment the news goes out.
FlyingHawk

Postby wlc568 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:24 pm

"uncle"
wlc568

Postby steve1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:00 pm

I have the same issue.

I only use LastPass at work, but at home I use 1Password, which uses different colors for letters, digits, and symbols, so they are easily distinguished.

Assuming that idea isn't patented, there's no reason why LastPass can't adopt the same idea.
steve1

Postby wlc568 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Great idea, Steve. I wonder if colors would help remove ambiguity? :-) duhh.

I gotta tell you, LastPass' intransigent point of view on this is beyond understanding. But like I said earlier: "uncle." This is my last comment on the subject.
wlc568

Postby cbrillow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:37 pm

I've run into this issue, after unfortunately creating a login ID for a site (that I don't want to change....) that includes a lower-case L followed by the number 1. The two look very much alike, but this is somewhat dependent on the screen font in use to display the characters. Some fonts better distinguish between the two than others...
cbrillow

Postby steve1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:38 am

cbrillow Wrote:t this is somewhat dependent on the screen font in use to display the characters. Some fonts better distinguish between the two than others...

In theory, but:
    * The LastPass app doesn't let you pick a font, and
    * Sometimes more than 2 characters look alike.
Consider these four: The digit 1, the lower-case L, the upper-case i, and the vertical bar symbol: 1, l, I, |

I just tested every font on my system, and for almost every font, two or three of those characters are visually indistinguishable.

But use different colors, and they are easily identifiable: 1, l, I, |

So a password like this: mL1Qjvul5^IG$|94 becomes a password like this: mL1Qjvul5^IG$|94

All four of those confusing characters appear, and yet it's easy to see that the first is a digit, because it's blue like the other digits. And the 2nd and 3rd are letters (all green). (The lower-case L and upper-case i are clearlu different in most fonts), and the final is a clearly vertical bar, because it's red like the other symbols.
steve1

Postby cbrillow » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:33 am

In theory, but:
* The LastPass app doesn't let you pick a font, and
* Sometimes more than 2 characters look alike.

I agree with both of your above comments, and that your color scheme appears to be a suitable solution, although it's more trouble than I'd want to go to to create a password. Maybe it would be cool if LastPass automagically created the color scheme - that could be convenient!

I should explain that my comment wasn't so much Lastpass-specific, rather it was simple readability on the screen, where you do have a choice of fonts to use in a browser. (also a separate, perhaps unnecessary step) In fact, if you again note what I wrote, it wasn't even a password that contained my example -- it was a username. My comment was only a general reflection on how ambiguous characters can sometimes go unnoticed in one font, and painfully obvious in a different one. I made that mistake in this one instance, and have avoided a repeat occurrence, When I have to share that username, I caution the other person to copy/paste the username, rather than typing it to avoid confusion.

Cheers!
cbrillow

Next

Return to Feedback