Latest Mac update seems to have many issues

What do you love about LastPass? What do you hate about it? Tell us why you like it, why you don't, and why.

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Latest Mac update seems to have many issues

Postby WillGill83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Hi

I just updated to the latest MacOS version 4.25.1

I've noticed the following:
[*] The entry point is now gone from Safari - I can't get it back
[*] I can't run the app only as a toolbar app... I have to have the full app open in the foreground all the time now?

These two regressions are a big deal for usability for me. Is this intended?

Cheers
WillGill83

Re: Latest Mac update seems to have many issues

Postby jpenny84 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:25 pm

LastPass had to make changes that were mandated by Apple.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2019/01/chang ... sion.html/
jpenny84

Postby WillGill83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 pm

I was aware of that.
But the previous version of the new app had the possibility to run as a toolbar app (ie without the whole app running in the foreground).

Also according to the article you share, when the app is running then Lastpass should be available in Safari browser... which, as I pointed out above, it is not.
WillGill83

Postby juanmiguel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:36 am

The last update is a disaster...

- In many cases the safari extension is not active
- In the top bar menu I can not change preferences, log out or close the application. A blank window always appears.
- Since I updated, the fans of my macbook do not stop working and make noise.
- Now the lastpass application is the application that consumes more battery in my laptop. Above Safari and Chrome.
- When the Lastpass is running, the CPU reaches the maximum temperature

I had to uninstall the application from my Mac. As I said, this update is a disaster.

I add some images

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ur2sivjdpmbyyfz/lastpass-cpu.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyrir3ik2lb573s/lastpass-topbar.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txqu17xcy3u1dtm/lastpast-energy.png?dl=0
juanmiguel

Postby Gelphyn » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi
@ WillGill83 + juanmiguel

Like you I had problems due to the Apple precipitated changes, and it took some time to understand the less than clear directions involved in accommodating the changes.
Unfortunately the 'changes' required LastPass and others to actually make changes and so the outcome inevitably reflects those changes without taking account of what Users may like.

With the new setup the LastPass Icon [●●●|] should be in position to the Left of the Web Address Field in the Toolbar.
If this is not in place may I suggest you contact LastPass Support via:

https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php

The LastPass Icon Dropdown in the Menubar should enable access to:

Quick Search
Vault
Generate Password
Preferences
Check for Updates
Log Out.
Quit LastPass

if this is not the case then it may be useful to add it to a Support Enquiry?

My Profile opens as a blank page if that is where Signature resides then this will have to suffice:

Best regards,
G
Mac Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6: iPhone iOS 12.1.4: LastPass.app Version 4.24.0 (649); Web Browser page Version; iOS version4.4.10:
Gelphyn

Postby KKW » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am

was having these same problems. finally got fed up and went back and forth with support for a few days. Apparently the solution is to uninstall whatever version you have and reinstall with 4.25.1 - the desktop app looks like 4.3, but the plugin works like 4.22 - now without the giant nag sidebar.

Maybe, someday, they will hire a QA Director and put together a software V&V team to test their stuff before release. But for now, this is what you need:

Uninstall LastPass. https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=185
Open Activity Monitor on your Mac and search for LastPass to end the process.
Open Spotlight Search and search for LastPass. If there is LastPass listed, move it to trash.
Then, reinstall LastPass from the below link.

https://lastpass.com/safariAppExtension ... e=download
KKW

Postby WillGill83 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks a lot KKW - that's really helpful!
WillGill83

Postby WillGill83 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:16 am

I can confirm that the instructions provided by KKW above worked for me. Thanks a lot!
WillGill83

Postby mooner » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Having been a member of LP for 7 years I am sad to say it but this really is the final straw. LP can moan that these are because of required changes by Apple but that doesnt change the fact that they've completely bungled the experience with this new version and done nothing to gracefully adapt. The Safari extension is now laughably slow (except its not laughable, its just infuriating), the app itself is ugly (how hard is it to make interface components "retina" resolution at this point?), if you try and use the extension while Safari is in fullscreen you are constantly whipped across desktops as the app refuses to open its windows over fullscreen Safari, and so on and so on.

Look, 1Password has the same restrictions from Apple and their interface feels approximately 1 million times faster and more efficient (and again, does not make your eyes bleed to look at) so I just dont buy the whole "it's Apple's fault". LP have always sacrificed the quality of their app/extensions for the sake of not having to engineer platform-specific code, i.e. it is obvious that the mac "app" is just a flimsy wrapper for some form of their web application and now its starting to really be a problem. Meanwhile, other companies have caught-up.

So yea, when my LP Family subscription expires tomorrow, I am sad to say I think I will let it do so. Perhaps if LP can get their act together I'll be back, some day...
mooner

Postby peter17 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:27 pm

I know the Apple changes must make life difficult for LastPass, but it's really difficult to find out how to get the extension working now. I finally found the missing step by following a link here.
4. Enable it in Safari – in the Preferences/ Extensions.
But this crucial step seems to be missing from the main pages about downloading Mac. Not everyone goes to a forum when there's a problem. Could LastPass please make sure there is accurate, up-to-date information about how to get the extension working in macOS? Apple's changes are not in your control; the information on LastPass's website IS in your control. Thanks!
peter17

Next

Return to Feedback