Better hotkeys and keyboard support

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Better hotkeys and keyboard support

Postby taxet » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:08 am

I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts in my daily life, since using the keyboard for the most part is a lot faster for me, especially since I need to do a lot of writing in between my browsing.

I find it personally super aggravating that every time I need to login with a user account, I have yet found a hotkey to, for example open up the same password search that can be opened by clicking the icon in the username and password fields. ALT+W opens up a password search, sure, but even then you need to use the mouse to click the user account you want. As a power user, in the long run this makes my wrist hurt, because let's face it: power users love keyboard shortcuts because less mouse clicks and reaching for your mouse is always better. Especially if you gotta do it dozen times within a 30 minute period.

I'll give you an example of a password manager that does this correct: F-secure Key. In Key, you only gotta press CTRL+F2 and a list of available passwords is given to you. Another thing Key does right, is that you don't need to click a search icon to start searching, just start typing right away and it'll find them for you as you type. And most important: when you wanna select the user account you wanna sign in with, you can move with the arrow keys and select your account.

Due to work I need to jump around in a lot of different user accounts, so it would be amazing if something could be done to the workflow to make it suck a whole lot less.
taxet

Re: Better hotkeys and keyboard support

Postby FlyingHawk » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Option 1:
Open context menu, navigate to LastPass, and you'll see options to copy username/password, all using keyboard.

Option 2:
Set an extension keyboard shortcut (e.g. Alt+L) in Chrome extension options, use the shortcut to open LastPass main menu, which allows you to search for any site (just type directly). Use <up>/<down> to navigate to your desired result, use <right> to enter option menu, where you can copy username/password, or edit. All using keyboard.
FlyingHawk

Postby taxet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:47 am

FlyingHawk Wrote:Option 1:
Open context menu, navigate to LastPass, and you'll see options to copy username/password, all using keyboard.

Option 1 has no viable search. Since I need to juggle through hundreds of user accounts, it's really not a viable solution.

FlyingHawk Wrote:Option 2:
Set an extension keyboard shortcut (e.g. Alt+L) in Chrome extension options, use the shortcut to open LastPass main menu, which allows you to search for any site (just type directly). Use <up>/<down> to navigate to your desired result, use <right> to enter option menu, where you can copy username/password, or edit. All using keyboard.

I honestly can't understand how can anyone accept a workflow where you need to open a new tab to access a site. It's like using a webportal from the bygone era and, let's be frank, that is just idiotic design.

There is an option to access usernames and passwords from the login fields. There even is a search. All it would take to make this a usable password manager, is to add a keyboard shortcut to open the menu and have it default with the search field open and selected. That is all that I am asking. It'll cut the steps needed to minimum 3, max 4 if you need to browse a bit also. No need to open a new tab or some other ridiculous junk.
taxet

Postby FlyingHawk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 am

You obviously haven't even tried my methods. Nowhere do you need to open another tab.
FlyingHawk

Postby taxet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:41 am

FlyingHawk Wrote:You obviously haven't even tried my methods. Nowhere do you need to open another tab.

It seems I misread and misunderstood your comment on the second option. I thought you meant I should set a shortcut to my vault, which of course already exists. I apologize for getting a bit aggravated, our company just recently decided to put every test user account behind LastPass for security reasons without any proper warning to us in QA and it has been messing with my workflow and making it slower for me to get anything done and it's been doing my head in.

Back to the matter at hand, this does indeed seem to be a better option, at least for Chrome. I don't suppose there is a similar option for Firefox, since that is the browser I use the most? I tried searching for an option but this does not seem to be possible currently. In the upcoming version (66) there seems to be some possible improvement coming, but I'm still uncertain if that will be the solution either.

I still do believe it would be a good idea to implement a simpler way to access your saved logins instead of having to set up your browser shortcuts and all that jazz. But if there would be a solution where I can actually get some work done, I'm open to that as well.
taxet

Postby hpl » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 am

I totally second the view of taxet that hotkeys need to be improved. The second option by FlyingHawk for Chrome, namely, setting an extension hotkey via chrome://extensions/shortcuts works well for Chrome. I believe it would be straightforward to add this for Firefox, since extension shortcuts are available now (e.g., link). Hope this will be implemented soon.
The hotkey Alt + W is not an alternative, unfortunately, because it cannot be used using only the keyboard.
hpl

Return to Feature Requests