LastPass is logging in when it shouldn't

A list of problematic websites and workarounds to make them work

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

LastPass is logging in when it shouldn't

Postby PaulX » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:36 pm

I'm having a problem where on some sites, LastPass logs in to the site when it is supposed to fill in username and password only, and wait for me to click "Login" on the page. "Auto Login" is NOT set.
Tried alternate URLs
Tried Save All Entered Data
Any ideas?
PaulX

Re: LastPass is logging in when it shouldn't

Postby jpenny84 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:53 pm

If you are launching the site from your vault, automatic login is the default action.
jpenny84

Postby PaulX » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:45 pm

I think it's a universal idea that if Auto Login is NOT checked, then it shouldn't auto login.
How do I get this to LastPass or LogMeIn as a bug?
PaulX

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:49 pm

PaulX Wrote:I think it's a universal idea that if Auto Login is NOT checked, then it shouldn't auto login.

The extension is designed to automatically log in when launching sites from the vault, so the behavior is not a bug.
jpenny84

Postby PaulX » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 am

Ok, how about "product enhancement"?
PaulX

Postby Del369 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:52 am

jpenny84 Wrote:
PaulX Wrote:I think it's a universal idea that if Auto Login is NOT checked, then it shouldn't auto login.

The extension is designed to automatically log in when launching sites from the vault, so the behavior is not a bug.

This is the lazy answer, look any decent security read will tell you that THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO ENABLE IS AUTOFILL AND AUTO LOGIN, do I need to go drag out the article where they found several bugs in Lastpass (that are fixed) and as part of the conclusion was the advice "DISABLE AUTOFILL AND AUTO LOGIN"?

If we set "Never autologin" about 6 different ways and it still can't respect it then please consider this "product enhancement" to change the design to NOT autofill and definitely NOT to auto login, at least give us the options to set this if we want it, and anyone whose read anything about general pc security will want this.

I DO NOT WANT ANY SITES AUTO FILLING and AUTO LOGGING IN EVER - please fix this.
Del369

Postby FlyingHawk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:32 pm

"Launching" a site from within LastPass is explicitly asking it to auto login.
"Enable/disable auto login" option only affect how LastPass behaves when you navigate to a website yourself (from outside of LastPass).

Now imagine LastPass changed this design and disables auto login even when you're explicitly launching a site from within LastPass.
Then comes other angry users who're shouting:
> I know I disabled auto login, but I should still have to option to explicitly ask LastPass to auto login when I want to! "Launch" used to do that! WHY ISN'T IT DOING ITS JOB NOW?!

If you don't want auto login, don't "launch" the site from LastPass.
If you don't want auto fill either, disable all these options in extension preferences.
It's that simple.
FlyingHawk

Postby Del369 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Ok, let me reiterate.

If "Automatically Fill Login Information" is unchecked I would expect that to be respected, saying it's the way it's designed is the lazy answer, i worked as support for a large IT company for many years, I'm very used to bug fixing and product enhancement requests. A few years ago we acquired another large brand name and when it came to fixing obvious bugs their favourite reply was "it's working as designed) and it was ALWAYS the lazy answer, which they always had to end up fixing.

The fact that auto fill and auto login is insecure and shouldn't be used, i.e. it's good practice not to use these features, just like it's good practice not to use a phone for 2FA, so when we actually try to adhere to good practices it is kind of annoying to see a standard answer used at every relevant question that says

"The extension is designed to automatically log in when launching sites from the vault, so the behavior is not a bug."

I've been using Lastpass for a couple of years now and I love it but I would also like to have the ability to not auto login or auto fill when I don't wish to, which is every site forever :) Also to note not every site does this.

To the Lastpass Team, can you please advise the correct procedure to submit a product enhancement request? namely:-

Disable Auto Login (Global) - Over rides all other settings no sites will "Auto Login"
Disable Auto Fill (Global) - Over rides all other settings no sites will "Auto Fill"

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rant :)
For reference, and I know this bg is fixed, but at the risk of banging the same drum good practice is to not have these features as standard and if they are at least let us turn them off:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... ject-zero/
Del369

Postby StormFiber » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:33 am

I'm using LastPass password manager extension in Google Chrome. I have to input your MASTER password (LastPass's password) to login and get all the functionality of the manager such as autofill passwords and users in multiple sites, etc.

This login lasts for probably an hour but then after coming back I have to input my master password again because it's logged out. I don't understand, shouldn't LastPass keep a cookie or something (sorry, I'm ignorant) to save the login. Why can LastPass save login for an hour, but not a week? Does some certificate expire? Or is there something wrong with my situation?

Addendum info: If I close Chrome and reopen after 5 seconds, LastPass logins automatically without me entering the password.
StormFiber

Postby Del369 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Del369 Wrote:Ok, let me reiterate.

If "Automatically Fill Login Information" is unchecked I would expect that to be respected, saying it's the way it's designed is the lazy answer, i worked as support for a large IT company for many years, I'm very used to bug fixing and product enhancement requests. A few years ago we acquired another large brand name and when it came to fixing obvious bugs their favourite reply was "it's working as designed) and it was ALWAYS the lazy answer, which they always had to end up fixing.

The fact that auto fill and auto login is insecure and shouldn't be used, i.e. it's good practice not to use these features, just like it's good practice not to use a phone for 2FA, so when we actually try to adhere to good practices it is kind of annoying to see a standard answer used at every relevant question that says

"The extension is designed to automatically log in when launching sites from the vault, so the behavior is not a bug."

I've been using Lastpass for a couple of years now and I love it but I would also like to have the ability to not auto login or auto fill when I don't wish to, which is every site forever :) Also to note not every site does this.

To the Lastpass Team, can you please advise the correct procedure to submit a product enhancement request? namely:-

Disable Auto Login (Global) - Over rides all other settings no sites will "Auto Login"
Disable Auto Fill (Global) - Over rides all other settings no sites will "Auto Fill"

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rant :)
For reference, and I know this bg is fixed, but at the risk of banging the same drum good practice is to not have these features as standard and if they are at least let us turn them off:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... ject-zero/

Del369

Return to Workarounds For Problematic Logins