Right Click SSH Key Copy Passphrase

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Right Click SSH Key Copy Passphrase

Postby frough9 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 am

Can you change (or add) a right click option for SSH Key type entries to copy the PASSPHRASE instead of (or in addition to) the key? I never need to copy the key, but I always need to copy the passphrase.
frough9

Re: Right Click SSH Key Copy Passphrase

Postby jpenny84 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:53 am

Simply create a custom secure note template and you can tailor your SSH information storage to your desire.

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/secure-notes/#h1
jpenny84

Postby frough9 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:17 am

Sure, I could do that. Except, why bother having an out of the box SSH template if you're just going to tell me to use a custom one? Also, the link you provided gives no details on how to create custom templates. Lastly, I thought this was a forum for suggestions, not a help desk forum.
frough9

Postby garretmh » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:32 am

jpenny84 Wrote:Simply create a custom secure note template and you can tailor your SSH information storage to your desire.

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/secure-notes/#h1

I've seen this thrown around as the solution before, but it actually doesn't work. The official SSH Key type uses special fields for the Public Key and Private Key fields that looks like single-line input boxes but are actually multi-line textareas. Custom Templates don't have access to those field types and cannot store ssh keys correctly.

Easily copying the private key is a terrible idea from a security perspective, while easily copying the public key and password are by far the most common use cases for stored SSH keys. That's why threads like these keep showing up.

Seriously, just fix it.
garretmh

Postby ddgenome » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:29 pm

It seems, at least on the Chrome extension, for secure notes created from a custom template, only the Notes field is available to copy from the right-click menu. Neither password nor text with copy field types appear in the right-click menu. So the proposed solution does not address the request at all.
ddgenome

Postby kevinfauconnet318 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:46 am

Up.

At least have an option to Copy passphrase.
It is the recommended way to store ssh key.
kevinfauconnet318

Return to Feature Requests