How to easily replace Xmarks with LastPass

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

How to easily replace Xmarks with LastPass

Postby chillybang » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 am

There are only few things needed:
    - Create custom secure notice website (URL, Description, Tags) - feature exists
    - Create custom shortcut New secure notice with current URL - feature doesn't exist
    - Create custom shortcut Show secure notices - feature doesn't exist
LastPass, would you help?
chillybang

Re: How to easily replace Xmarks with LastPass

Postby packrat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm

I think you're on to something.

I'm going to see if I can add my bookmarks as sites in LastPass. It's not convenient, because I'd have to stay signed in. But it's better than nothing. And maybe I can transfer the whole kit and caboodle when LastPass goes belly up too.
packrat

Postby chillybang » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:22 am

it would be much easier if shortcuts could be created by user.

At the moment i migrated with all my bookmarks from Xmarks to LastPass on the way i described - but with help of 3rd party Windows automatization tool (AutoHotKey).

But hey - it is the question of two custom shortcuts and, in the best case, the search function, which could search partially in secure notices of special type (bookmarks - not needed, but good to search faster). LastPass would catch the whole user base of Xmarks with one hint - i do believe, that the proportion of afforts and profit is positiv for LastPass.
chillybang

Postby AdequateSamaritan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Here's an easier solution: export your bookmarks to an HTML file and update and back that up every few days. It's not portable but at least your bookmarks won't be lost in a crash.
AdequateSamaritan

Postby AdequateSamaritan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:21 pm

packrat Wrote:I think you're on to something.

I'm going to see if I can add my bookmarks as sites in LastPass. It's not convenient, because I'd have to stay signed in. But it's better than nothing. And maybe I can transfer the whole kit and caboodle when LastPass goes belly up too.

Oh jesus, if LastPass goes belly up, I'm good and fucked. I better back that shit up now.
AdequateSamaritan

Postby chillybang » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:03 am

AdequateSamaritan

Its not about export and backup. Its about maintain really big bookmarks and bookmarklets collections between many different devices and OSs.
chillybang

Postby steve784 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:08 am

AdequateSamaritan Wrote:Here's an easier solution: export your bookmarks to an HTML file and update and back that up every few days. It's not portable but at least your bookmarks won't be lost in a crash.

The problem with exporting to html is that it loses all tags. This is a pain in the ass, obviously. Has anybody found a way to export and keep the tags?
steve784

Postby AdequateSamaritan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:20 pm

steve784 Wrote:
AdequateSamaritan Wrote:Here's an easier solution: export your bookmarks to an HTML file and update and back that up every few days. It's not portable but at least your bookmarks won't be lost in a crash.

The problem with exporting to html is that it loses all tags. This is a pain in the ass, obviously. Has anybody found a way to export and keep the tags?

I'm not even sure what bookmark tags are? I use Chrome, mostly.
AdequateSamaritan

Postby ricardo281 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:22 am

As far as I could tell, the only way to export the tags is to sync to firefox (I'm not aware of any other browser that supports tags, maybe opera?) then save or export them from firefox. I'm not sure if firefox's html export saves tags, but I believe not. You can save/export a copy of your firefox bookmarks as .json file which does include all bookmark data including tags. I've had issues restoring these, at least across firefox versions, so you probably want to test reimporting in a new profile.

If you want to save multiple historical versions, then you need to restore each one from xmarks website, then use the plugin setting to download from server and overwrite firefox's bookmarks.

The problem, however, is the the latest versions of the xmarks firefox plugin (that support the new firefox addin requirements) do not work with tags! You'll lose them all. So you need to use an older version of the plugin, and possibly an older version of firefox that supports it. And you don't have much time left, so good luck if you're still trying to do this!

I did this a while ago when I discovered I lost all my tags due to the lack of tag support in the updated plugin. I was able to find a previous version without losing much that still had the tags and with some effort was able to get a firefox plugin working that still supported tags. After pulling this version out of xmarks, I disabled my xmarks plugins to avoid losing my tags and have been using firefox's native sync to keep my computers in sync. The native sync feature works pretty well, but doesn't support all of the xmarks features that were useful: no multibrowser syncing, no online website to view your bookmark library, no automatic revision backups (although there is a local automated bookmark backup built into firefox that does cover this somewhat, but I think it's limited in time so you need to manually backup if you want to keep a particular version).
ricardo281

Postby jim7fl273 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:34 am

The idiots who made the decision to abandon Xmarks possibly had no idea how many people out here who were premium users use a LOT of different browsers and did not want to trust their bookmarks or any other data to the browser wars. I am absolutely ticked off that us paying customers were thrown under the bus.

I guess I will have to invest the time to setup my own server to take care of this.

What a pita!
jim7fl273

Return to Xmarks