It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Xmarks support forums

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Support for Xmarks is ending on May 1, 2018

Postby ChodaBoyUSA » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:37 pm

I just received the following e-mail from Xmarks. It is sad to see such a formerly great service being abandoned. I know the forced switch to Web Service API only support for Firefox has ruined some really great add-ons. I wonder if that had anything to do with the decision to just give up on Xmarks altogether.

Xmarks update
On May 1, 2018, we will be shutting down Xmarks. Your account will remain active until then. After this date, your bookmarks should remain available in any previously accessed browser, but they will no longer sync and your Xmarks account will be deactivated. There will be no impact to your LastPass Premium account. In addition, any remaining balance previously paid towards Xmarks will be applied as a credit towards your LastPass Premium account.

At LastPass, we’ve staked our claim in password management, and providing our community with a high level of password security. After careful consideration and evaluation, we have decided to discontinue the Xmarks solution so that we can continue to focus on offering the best possible password vaulting to our community.

On behalf of the entire LastPass and Xmarks team, we wanted to thank you for your support over the years. If you have any questions about your account or LastPass credit, please do not hesitate to reach out to https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php.
ChodaBoyUSA

It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Postby cuppettcj » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 pm

LastPass sent me the following email this morning that I am quoting below. I'm posting this here as a new topic because I do not expect LastPass to make an official public announcement. They have pretty much abandoned XMarks long ago and apparently plan to let this one-time great product simply fade away with a whimper rather than a bang. I guess it wan't much of a money-maker for them. If anybody reading this knows of any alternative that will keep bookmarks / favorites in sync with all major browsers, please post your suggestions to this thread.

Xmarks update

On May 1, 2018, we will be shutting down Xmarks. Your account will remain active until then. After this date, your bookmarks should remain available in any previously accessed browser, but they will no longer sync and your Xmarks account will be deactivated. There will be no impact to your LastPass Premium account. In addition, any remaining balance previously paid towards Xmarks will be applied as a credit towards your LastPass Premium account.

At LastPass, we’ve staked our claim in password management, and providing our community with a high level of password security. After careful consideration and evaluation, we have decided to discontinue the Xmarks solution so that we can continue to focus on offering the best possible password vaulting to our community.

On behalf of the entire LastPass and Xmarks team, we wanted to thank you for your support over the years. If you have any questions about your account or LastPass credit, please do not hesitate to reach out to https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php.
cuppettcj

Re: Support for Xmarks is ending on May 1, 2018

Postby benking » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:46 pm

I was a long time user of Xmarks but moved over to Bookmark OS (https://bookmarkos.com) some time ago and have been really happy with it. It doesn't have sync but it is a website so it works cross-browser including mobile devices. It is designed to allow you to leverage the intuitiveness and power of a GUI (like Mac or Windows) for your bookmarks and it works super well!
benking

Postby cuppettcj » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:48 pm

For the record, Firefox switched to a new add-on engine that works very similar to the one that Google Chrome was always using. It should not have been that difficult to make Xmarks work well with the new Firefox. I think this has more to do with LastPass abandoning a product that wasn't making them any / enough money to even bother with it. But that's just my speculation. LastPass officially has been very non-responsive to XMarks users and customers, other than releasing a few half-baked Firefox add-on updates over the past year.

Please let me know if anybody knows of any alternative that can keep bookmarks in sync across all major browsers.
cuppettcj

Postby opt2bout » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:51 pm

I wonder if Lastpass would put Xmarks up as open source on GitHub? They already support using your own server for hosting the sync'd files on. I would have paid for an Xmarks service if they had offered it and it was reasonable.
opt2bout

Re: It's Official - XMarks Will Be Shut Down on May 1st

Postby hvisage711 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:52 pm

I was wondering/hoping that they'll release it as open source so that at least others could use it for their own sync services
hvisage711

Postby ywliu1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:58 pm

I have done some research but could not find any good-enough comparable or competing service. Looks like probably everyone just use one browser:

https://pinboard.in : looks amateur

https://www.everhelper.me/synchronizer.php : looks expensive for US44.99/year.. And I don't know how good or limited the basic plan is.

https://bookmarkos.com : It is a bookmark manager website.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203519 : iCloud has a bookmark-syncing service. It sure looks interesting and of course it is not as sophisticated as Xmarks. But I think I will give it a try.
ywliu1

Postby angelthaliel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:20 pm

If this is an early april fool's joke, it's a bad one.

Xmarks was the only thing I could decently use to recover my bookmarks after getting a new computer. As sorry as I am to say this, firefox's internal syncing is a pain
angelthaliel

Postby jboyer853 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:41 pm

NOOO - I use xmarks all the time for my personal machines and love the option to control what syncs to work and client machines.

This was the only thing keeping me from considering other password managers. I also echo the request to put the code on github.
jboyer853

Postby npayne » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Whoa, this is bad news. I use xmarks all of the time, mostly for work, but also personally.

Has anyone heard of EverSync? I did some googling and it might be a decent alternative.
npayne

Next

Return to Xmarks