Search by Password

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Search by Password

Postby adamdewing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:03 pm

First off, I love LastPass. Not only do I use it for all my accounts, but now my girlfriend never forgets her's either, saving me a load of time :lol:

I recently found out I was part of the Equifax breach. And of course the password I used for my Equifax account was reused two other places that I knew of. Changing them was easy enough.

What would be really nice is if I could find out if that password was used anywhere else. I know about the Security Challenge, but I don't want to go over all my 261 accounts in my vault. Plus I don't have time to go back and harden all my old accounts. I just really want to know if that password was used anywhere else in my vault. Seems like something that should be an easy thing to search for.

I have noticed that this feature has been requested multiple times since 2010. With the amount of new breaches, and passwords found in paste bins, this would be a really important feature.
adamdewing

Re: Search by Password

Postby thomas941 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 pm

I was wondering the same thing.

What I did was go to the 'My LastPass Vault', hit 'Export' and then searched the resulting document which shows all the information in LastPass in plaintext.
thomas941

Postby Richard111 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:13 am

This would be useful for me too. The company I work for makes me change my master Windows password every 3 months. The same password is used on multiple, but not all, internal sites, it would be handy to search for these sites by password so I can change them after my master password change, rather than wonder why I can login to a site 2 weeks later.
Richard111

Postby wartsc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:02 pm

Just want the community to know that I am another heavy premium (and pretty satisfied) user who'd like this capability.
wartsc

Postby jack647 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:14 pm

+1 for the same reason.
jack647

Postby andrewtaylor554 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:05 am

+1, would love to see this feature.
andrewtaylor554

Postby BroncoKrawler » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:20 am

+1 for me. This feature would allow quick identification and change in the event of breaches which are a common occurrence today. Also, it would be nice to have the ability to search then update password by user entry.
BroncoKrawler

Postby FlyingHawk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:00 pm

If I remember correctly, there's some additional encryption on password fields that prevents them from appearing in search results. Passwords are only decrypted on-the-fly.

A workaround:
Extension icon -> More Options -> Advanced -> Export -> LastPass CSV File
Then you can see all your vault's information, including passwords, in plain text, and do a easy text search.
FlyingHawk

Postby dmutters723 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:46 am

I was looking for a way to do this, as a result of one of my passwords having been compromised. Thank-you to Thomas941, for the tip about the "Export" feature. This did, indeed, produce a plaintext document that has all the passwords visible. There was, however, the small issue of how to extract just the compromised sites from the rather long list, without having to go through it manually. Here is my solution to that dilemma. Note that this will only work on Mac OS X, Linux, and Unix; a different solution will be needed for Windows users. (Perhaps, someone with PowerShell knowledge can replicate what I've done in BASH?)

1. Save the exported passwords as "Export.html", on your Desktop. (The name and location of this file will be important, below.)
2. Open a Terminal window (on Mac, go to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal).
3. Copy/paste this into the terminal and press ENTER:
Code: Select All Code
/bin/bash

(Note: most Mac/Linux/Unix machines use the BASH interpreter by default, so you might be able to skip Step 3.)
4. Copy/paste this into the terminal and press ENTER:
cd ~/Desktop

5. Copy/paste this into the terminal and press ENTER:
read -sp "password: " pw ; grep "$pw" Export.html > pwned.txt ; echo

You will be prompted to enter the compromised password. Type it in, then press ENTER. Please note that nothing will appear on the screen as you type (for security). A list of sites where you used that password will be exported to a file called, "pwned.txt", on your Desktop. You can open this file with any text editor (on Mac, Text Wrangler, a free app from the App Store, is a good choice). You may now go through each affected site and change the password.

Hopefully, such a feature will be implemented in LastPass, so that we can avoid the above acrobatics, in the future. :-)
dmutters723

Postby accounts843 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Absolutely agree, and really surprised that this isn't a feature.
I've just received a threatening email (containing a commonly-used password of mine (that I use for throwaway sites, for the record)) and I'd really like to search out all sites so that I can change that pw as needed.
accounts843

Next

Return to Feature Requests