Battle.net passwords are dots instead of password

A list of problematic websites and workarounds to make them work

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Password for Battle.net account login saved as dots

Postby ggurman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:25 am

When I log into my Battle.net account (us.battle.net), LastPass saves the password as a series of dots. If I fix the entry so it has the correct password, the next time I log in, LastPass enters the correct password and then it detects a password change asks me if I want to save the new one.

I have two different accounts, and it happens with both accounts, so I've duplicated it.

Any ideas?
ggurman

Re: Password for Battle.net account login saved as dots

Postby jjj » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:44 am

I have the exact same problem. The real password is not saved, instead a series of dots is saved as the password for this site. I also tried under two different accounts and both exhibited the same behavior.
jjj

Postby mike808137 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:56 pm

I figured it out. The login form has a field called "password". When LastPass saved the login form/entry, it also saved the form fields on the page. Unfortunately, that happened after the Battle.Net website's javascript replaced the password you entered with the dots.

So, go into the entry in LastPass and edit it. Then click on the little wrench at the bottom to edit the form fields. Delete all of the fields. There will be one called "password" and the value it has is the dots. LastPass is getting confused by two fields, both called "password", one being the "real" password on the main part, and the other being the "form field" also called "password". So the solution is to delete the form field version.

A lot of other sites that have weird login form behavior can also be attributed to LastPass "over capturing" all of the form fields (many not visible) on a login page. This is also an issue where (bank sites) they replace your login ID with some sort of masked version that replaces all bit the last three characters with dots, just like the password as well as various checkboxes like "save my login/user ID". Most times, I turn that off, and then go into the LastPass vault entry and delete all of the form fields, except for one I want to keep (like language or country selections).

Also, make sure your browser isn't also sticking its fingers into the soup too by saving your login information as well as LastPass. Turn it off and make sure LastPass is the only place saving and supplying your passwords. So they don't get changed in one place and not the other, or they get hacked/stolen from the other place and LastPass has no way to know that happened.
mike808137

Postby ambiance » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Deleting fields did not change anything for me as it still prompts to update password after each login. I have also tried creating new entries on both Firefox and Chrome using 'Save All Entered Data' and yielded the exact same results. It's a nuisance and would be infinitely worse if it automatically updated the password to dots instead of prompting.
ambiance

Battle.net passwords are dots instead of password

Postby maartenolijve1448 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:29 am

I have noticed that my battle.net account got updated recently when I logged in, when I went to check what the new password was they were dots (password was unmasked)
Apparently Lastpass copies the dots on the login form instead of the actual password and updates it in his database, making users unable to login without knowing their actual password (which I luckily knew)
maartenolijve1448

Re: Battle.net passwords are dots instead of password

Postby dani40 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 am

Yes, I can confirm that for me too.
I have the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator enabled.
LastPass catches the password as dots and offers the user to "update the password" which will actually replace the good password with the dots.
dani40

Postby dani40 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:55 am

Same situation here.
I guess the Lastpass team has to check and debug.
dani40

Postby dani40 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:58 am

Same still happens. I guess Lastpass team has to check this out and debug it a little bit.
dani40

Re: Battle.net passwords are dots instead of password

Postby Catlander » Thu May 24, 2018 4:02 am

So here we are 05-18 and this is still happening. gj lastPass
Catlander

battle.net passwords are dots...

Postby shmediaproductions22 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:36 pm

I saw another thread complaining about this from 2016. Come on... at this point the only reason I'm not using 1password is because I'm already committed. But you'd think if you're gonna spam me with notifications about how my "trial" is expired, you'd be more concerned with making your product's most basic function actually work. It's not like I can't enter the correct one into the vault manually, it's that it's really irritating when the lastpass card steals the focus to ask me if I want to "update" my password every time from the correct password to the ....... it is reading. Honestly if you're for whatever reason unwilling or unable to get past whatever's causing this, all you need to do is give us a setting to turn off the "update now" prompts for certain entries. That way I can just keep on autofilling the password I manually entered and lastpass doesn't need to alert me that it's old. This would be so simple but it hasn't happened after 2 years of complaints. So maybe my question instead should be what's the easiest way to migrate to 1password? Thanks in advance
shmediaproductions22

Next

Return to Workarounds For Problematic Logins