HTML tag to prevent LastPass from interacting

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

HTML tag to prevent LastPass from interacting

Postby ly352 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:33 am

I am a bit puzzled to why there is still no tag we can add to an input field to prevent LastPass from trying to complete it or interact in any way!

Very often when we develop websites LastPass seems to want to interact with form fields it has absolutely no business with, which can get pretty annoying. So if you could please invent a tag we can add to an input field telling LastPass to not try to do anything when a user enters it.

If you want to keep it html w3c compliant you could use a data field, e.g. <input name="myfield" data-lastpass="disable">
ly352

Re: HTML tag to prevent LastPass from interacting

Postby jeezmos » Wed May 25, 2016 5:43 pm

+1
I love LastPass, and encourage its use to everyone I know. I wouldn't dream of disabling LastPass functionality for logins. But as a web developer, I would expect the generic autocomplete=off to be respected.

If anyone has discovered a workaround to foil LastPass from injecting itself into the form fields, please share.
jeezmos

Postby jeezmos » Wed May 25, 2016 6:04 pm

The forum isn't letting me post javascript code, but I do have some luck with a workaround involving listening to the DOMNodeInserted event and detecting if it's a LastPass tag by the naming scheme of its ID, then removing it.
jeezmos

Postby jpenny84 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:43 pm

Please don't post code in here.
jpenny84

Postby ly352 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:29 am

jpenny84 Wrote:Please don't post code in here.

It's appalling how my question was ignored for 2.5 months, although it was to report an annoying bug... and then when someone wants to post a solution, a moderator is all over it pointing out what can and can't be done on this forum.

It only shows how lazy their support department actually is!
ly352

Postby jpenny84 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

1. When people post Javascript in here, it usually gets reported by someone as suspicious. Most of the time, it probalby isn't. Most of the contributors in here are volunteers, and don't have the time to audit people's code. The firewall on the forum server might block it too.
2. If you haven't received a response to your forum question, the support ticketing system would be the next step: https://www.lastpass.com/supportticket.php
3. LastPass does respect Autocomplete=off if that option is enabled in the advanced section of your extension preferences.
jpenny84

Postby mike808137 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:26 pm

To be fair, ly352, it's really annoying to me as a user when some self-centered prick of a web developer has this idea that I can't use LastPass to autofill their forms the way I want my browser to work. You sound like the same people that want a tag to disable adblockers and such.

The last thing I want, as a LastPass user, is to not have the ability to view and consume the web the way I want to. That's why I have LastPass in the first place. Nor do I want to let some web designer that may or may not be anywhere near as good, competent, skilled or as thoughtful as you are in your websites. I simply can't trust the rest of the world's web developers, so I'm sorry you can't force me to disable respecting autocomplete in my LastPass.
mike808137

Postby kevin651 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:10 am

So I came here as a web developer looking to answer this question NOT because I want to eliminate the VALID attempts to have LastPass autofill fields for me (I LOVE LastPass which is why I'm seeing the problem first hand while developing a web app). The problem is that my current web app includes a form for editing contacts used within the app which includes fields that look a lot like a login form's fields. So can we please not jump to conclusions about people's motives? Thanks. Meanwhile still looking for a helpful answer...
kevin651

Postby mike808137 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:07 pm

If you don't want LP to think your "username" field should not be confused with other fields that are actually username, userid, or login fields, then don't call them that. Name them with something else for your field names (and ID tags).

Call them "contact-field1" or something else. If your problem is with the browser's "helpfully" autofilling or auto-suggesting filling in values, that's not a lastpass issue.

Sorry, you won't get the rest of the world to go along with your happy-path UX testing and QA for your website. You'll just have to be a smarter web developer to make it work across all the different browsers, operating systems, and devices, and with all the different users with all the different combinations of options and settings. Welcome to the real world of web development.
mike808137

Postby frans555 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:53 am

Sorry, you won't get the rest of the world to go along with your happy-path UX testing and QA for your website. You'll just have to be a smarter web developer to make it work across all the different browsers, operating systems, and devices, and with all the different users with all the different combinations of options and settings. Welcome to the real world of web development.

Wow, that's a toxic reply.

Call them "contact-field1" or something else. If your problem is with the browser's "helpfully" autofilling or auto-suggesting filling in values, that's not a lastpass issue.

A conflict with major frameworks, such as Rails, is somewhat a LP issue though. Naming stuff random things just because a password manager autofills them otherwise is absolute shit advice and of course isn't a good solution.

For now the "respect autocomplete" setting seems to be enough for me personally, as long as it doesn't interfere with legitimate login forms.
frans555

Next

Return to Feature Requests