Can't post new topic

Moderators: azitnay, admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Can't post new topic

Postby p1nky » Wed May 07, 2014 4:37 am

Do I have to have certain post count to create a new topic? I want to submit a feedback in the feedback forum :|
p1nky

Re: Can't post new topic

Postby Lars » Wed May 07, 2014 5:27 am

A quick search on the Forum would've answered your question.
Yes, you need your first post approved, before being able to post without approvals.
Lars

Postby p1nky » Wed May 07, 2014 8:02 am

Oops, sorry mod, won't happen again >__<
p1nky

Postby thomask » Sun May 11, 2014 11:52 am

Same here - I can't post anything either.... great forum... not.
thomask

Postby thomask » Sun May 11, 2014 11:54 am

Again, since you know who I am - on the backend - why not let us create posts? Also, not having a way to signal this to people through the UI is really dumb UX.
thomask

Postby jpenny84 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Users being subject to a moderation queue is common practice on forums. The primary moderator on this board does not work for LastPass so they can't cross check a forum poster with a LastPass account.

LastPass moved the forum login to a single sign on system to deter spam and the Spam bots still got around it. The current system is unfortunately the best compromise.
jpenny84

Postby Lars » Sun May 11, 2014 5:43 pm

thomask Wrote:Again, since you know who I am - on the backend - why not let us create posts? Also, not having a way to signal this to people through the UI is really dumb UX.

It's considered proper forum etiquette to perform a search on the forum, if you can't find an answer to your question.

Like jpenny84 stated, none of us LastPass Forum moderators are paid by LastPass - we do this for free. Earlier we dealt with massive amounts of spam, which now, thanks to the current way of running the forum, has almost been eliminated.
Lars

Postby mkupper » Wed May 21, 2014 1:12 pm

I am new to LP and the forums and the problem for me is that when I click "Post a new topic" it redirects back to the main page for all forums (https://forums.lastpass.com/).

I'm fine with moderator approval for the first post(s) or new topic(s) but not even offering a blank new-topic form and instead silently punting people back to https://forums.lastpass.com/ seems odd. I'm using Firefox 29.0.1 which I assume is a supported browser for the forums.

I checked e-mail and spam bucket but there were no e-mail address confirmation messages. There was a "Thanks for choosing LastPass" welcome from LP for setting up the account.
mkupper

Postby mkupper » Wed May 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Lars Wrote:A quick search on the Forum would've answered your question.
Yes, you need your first post approved, before being able to post without approvals.

No - a search of the forum does not disclose this. Usually people come here for the first time because they want to post a question about LastPass. With the current way the forum system is configured attempts to do that by clicking the "Post a new topic" button are silently punted to index.php which is the main forum index.

There is no mention of how the forum works on index.php.

Of the ten forum sections only "General Support & Troubleshooting" has an announcement style post. It's titled "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING." and says to first look at the helpdesk. Again, there's no mention of little gotchas in how the forums work.

The quick fix is
1) Revise the "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" message to include a link to help desk site. (I know the site URL was mentioned later in the thread but the main message should be updated to include the URL.

2) Revise the "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" message to add a note about how someone can post their first topic. Maybe the trick is the person posts a reply to a thread that then gets approved by a moderator?

3) Post that "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" message to the main index.php page so that all new people will see it. I suspect the forum software allows moderators to flag a post as "no replies accepted". I'd flag the main announcement post this way. If someone has feedback about that post they can use one of the existing forums to post it. If the mods believe the feedback is a good idea they can revise the "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" message.
mkupper

Postby Lars » Wed May 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Not sure how and what you search for, but this question has been asked many times, and answered equally many. It's there.
Lars

Next

Return to Off Topic