Broken Finnish translations

Help us translate LastPass into your favorite language

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Broken Finnish translations

Postby Mika » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 pm

So, I just noticed that I'm not the only Finnish translator anymore, which is great.

Only problem is that by looking at some of the translated strings it seems to be that someone of the editors doesn't seem to be native speaker, or is just lazy (and uses the google translation suggestions as is). The translations have mostly correct vocabulary, but a lot of the sentences don't mean anything sensible, and are pretty much on par with machine translations.

This would be fine I guess, if they were all marked as fuzzy so someone else would know to give them a look and fix everything that needs fixing, but this is not the case. So it's all in there mixed with actual readable Finnish.
So, I'm afraid that in many ways the Finnish translation is broken, and unless someone is willing to go through all the strings again, it will likely stay that way. Because finding the machine translations among the rest of the strings is impossible without going through the whole thing.

Just so you know.
Mika

Re: Broken Finnish translations

Postby geejii » Sat May 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Pretty much sums my thoughts too. It would really help to spot machine translated strings.

And in my opinion, it's pretty stupid to translate word-to-word. If core message is same as in english, it should be enough.
geejii

Return to Internationalization