German translation

Help us translate LastPass into your favorite language

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

German translation

Postby dicks » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:11 am

Hi,

I've taken a crack at the outdated German translation - so attached a first (incomplete) update for 1.45. I've focussed on making sure that at least the very visible items are translated, there is still some work with longer strings to be done.

Changes: Changed from informal "du" to formal "Sie", changed "Password" to "Kennwort" and many more consistancy changes.

Some central editing system would be great, that way multiple people can work on it :). Anyone interested to help complete German translation please contact me.

Cheers

DickS

PS: Extension .po not allowed as attachment :?
dicks

Re: German translation

Postby JoeSiegrist » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:59 am

dicks Wrote:Hi,

I've taken a crack at the outdated German translation - so attached a first (incomplete) update for 1.45. I've focussed on making sure that at least the very visible items are translated, there is still some work with longer strings to be done.

Changes: Changed from informal "du" to formal "Sie", changed "Password" to "Kennwort" and many more consistancy changes.

Thanks -- we also get a recent update from Sascha also -- we'll see if we can combine your work with his.

dicks Wrote:PS: Extension .po not allowed as attachment :?

We prefer handling them in email to support@lastpass.com actually -- ultimately it would be nice to have a web based collaborative editor.

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby dicks » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Great, happy to work with Sasha - I also do Skype German translation :).
dicks

Postby saschamaj » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi, good to have you on board! Since I haven't lived in Germany for a number of years now, I had some difficulty with what computer lingo is now in use, the anglicized German or the "real" German. Things like "Anmelden" vs. "Einloggen" etc.
Also I was under the impression that the less formal "Du" has become more acceptable in recent years, especially when it comes to computer software... I guess I was mistaken :geek:
saschamaj

Postby dicks » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 am

Hi,

Well, I think when it comes to security tools like these the formal way is better. Social sites like Facebook tend to be the informal lingo.

Congrats on the quality - that is very impressive for someone not living in Germany 8-)
dicks

Postby saschamaj » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Good point.
Thanks for the compliment, but even though I may not live in Germany right now, I still am a native speaker. ;)
saschamaj

Postby aln_kpa » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:49 am

I will try to help with the translation. I downloaded it today and started translating the shorter things.
aln_kpa

Postby saschamaj » Thu May 14, 2009 12:08 am

I'm happy to see that Daniel and Patrick have joined the work on the translation. Welcome! I will start putting in some serious work again as well, so hopefully we'll get back to 100% quickly.
Since we're now able to edit simultaneously we should probably coordinate how we translate certain expressions, so we can assure the translation will be unified/ standardized.
The biggest issue at the moment is that we will have to change the translation to formal speech [vom Du zum Sie]. For that reason we'll have to go through each and every line and change it accordingly.
Once everything is translated we should also proof read everything (Korrekturlesen). Just on a cursory glance I have seen a number of spelling errors, and at that stage we could also discuss certain translations that might be improved.
I hope we can all get together at some point or at least exchange messages to organize the next steps. I can set up a private chat room for us where you can leave messages or where we could also meet in real-time (Campfirenow).
I look forward to hearing from you guys!

P.S.: If any of the moderators (Joe?) is reading this, could you maybe e-mail the translators my suggestion and/or ask them to comment on this thread?
Thanks!
saschamaj

Postby da_loki » Fri May 15, 2009 1:05 am

Hello together,

I just started to help out with the translation to german.
As already mentioned, I guess the best thing is using "Sie" instead of "Du".
Sometimes we translate "page" as "Seite" or "Webseite". I guess we should really meet us, and think about a standard which we will use.
Maybe a good thing could be, that everyone will take one part and translate this, and another will proof the translations.

Best regards,
Phillipp
da_loki

Postby dicks » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:40 am

Hi,

Great to see some more join in, we really need to get the German translation updated. How far are you all with the change from "Du" to "Sie" and the new strings?

DickS
dicks

Next

Return to Internationalization