modify someone else's translation

Help us translate LastPass into your favorite language

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

modify someone else's translation

Postby edith » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi,

A delicate question: Is it okay to make changes to strings translated by someone else? I have a few suggestions and would like to make some minor changes. What is the procedure for that? Do you have to ask first? Discuss it? Or do you just enter the new text? Into the field "Comments" or into the language field? I tried both just to see what happens: the name of the translator remains unchanged.

Any suggestions?

Edith
edith

Re: modify someone else's translation

Postby J M » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:10 pm

In my opinion, if the translation is totally wrong of poor in quality, I would go ahead and change it. You don't need to consult the author of a poor translation. But you might want to contact him/her so that he/she doesn't keep making the same errors.

If the change is more a matter of taste (e.g. formal language vs. colloquial language), I think it's better to ask in this forum first so that everybody is in the same page and to make sure that the translation is consistent everywhere. If nobody answers after some days, I guess you can consider yourself the "owner of the translation" and do as it pleases you most.

Sometimes, I write "Comments" justifying my choice of translation (often, because I have bothered enough to check the real context of the phrase...) in case someone might feel the temptation to change my translation without giving it enough thought.

About the bug in updating the author of a translation when it is changed, I reported it long ago ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6869&p=26859#p26859 ). I guess you can take that information as the "author of the original translation". Not very useful, but that is what it is today.

Cheers
J M

Postby sameer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:17 pm

edith Wrote:Hi,

A delicate question: Is it okay to make changes to strings translated by someone else? I have a few suggestions and would like to make some minor changes. What is the procedure for that? Do you have to ask first? Discuss it? Or do you just enter the new text? Into the field "Comments" or into the language field? I tried both just to see what happens: the name of the translator remains unchanged.

Any suggestions?

Edith

This history bug has just been fixed - thanks for reporting it.

As for updating someone else's translation, if it's an improvement, or if strongly feel your translation is better, then just replace it.
If your replacement isn't obviously better than the existing, then add a comment in the comment field explaining your change so as not to upset the previous author.
Since a full history of every change is kept, it's easy for someone to revert back to an earlier phrase if ever needed.

Thanks!
sameer
Site Admin

Postby edith » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:44 am

Hi J M & sameer, thanks a lot for your help !

Edith
edith

Return to Internationalization