Secure (QR) Login - SQRL

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Secure (QR) Login - SQRL

Postby Cevim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:31 pm

I want SQRL on Lastpass: https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm
Cevim

Re: Secure (QR) Login - SQRL

Postby jonat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:25 am

Ask again when the implementation details are provided.
jonat

Postby daevski » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:11 am

+1 , but it is too early. I'm guessing next week we'll be good to go! lol
daevski

Postby grmrgecko » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:44 pm

SQRL may be hard to implement in Lastpass. The way Lastpass works right now, as far as I understand it, it works on a hash of the password and email address to encrypt the encryption key. To decrypt, you must provide both email in lowercase and password.

With SQRL, it sends to the server saying here is my public key and your url signed... Let me in. It is not easy to take that securely with zero knowledge to decrypt the master encryption key.
grmrgecko

Postby john753 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:37 pm

I can't think of a more perfect marriage than Lastpass and SQRL. They can add the SQRL system to their mobile apps, and integrate the entire SQRL DB into the existing password DB, and store in the cloud as a single encrypted blob.

If you need SQRL, just open up Lastpass, provide password/pin and you're able to use authenticate using SQRL. Need a username/password to link your SQRL account to an existing account, no problem, Lastpass will fill those for you.

It would be a shame if they weren't already involved in making this new auth system a reality.
john753

Postby zackis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:43 am

This would be a fantastic addition for Lastpass! The lastpass we use now could certainly still be used AND SQRL could be implemented in the future. I know that Mr. Gibson uses your product, as do I and any family member/office team mate I can convince to use it. Perhaps future development could be done with SQRL? I've been a user for a very long time, and it is the one app I do nothing without, I would love the addition of SQRL. Keep up the good work !
zackis

Postby XIII » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Cevim Wrote:I want SQRL on Lastpass: https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm

Do you want to log in in the LastPass website using SQRL, or do you want the mobile Apps to be SQRL Apps?
XIII

Postby juliohm830 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:38 am

+1 on this one. But I do understand it's quite early to ask for implementations when the spec is still opened to discussion. I'll be glad to see this supported in the future.

grmrgecko pointed out earlier this might hard to get working, given that LastPass uses your password to encrypt the keys that protect your database.

I have to admit, this might take some thinking to get around. But it still comes are a much welcome improvement to LastPass to use SQRL for second factor authentication, much like it uses Google Authenticator today. Besides the traditional email/password, the user database would only be transferred to the client browser if a SQRL authentication was successful.
juliohm830

Postby archer53x » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:29 am

+1 on SQRL. Though it will take some time, SQRL looks like it has the potential to become an internet authentication standard (kudos Steve Gibson!). For Lastpass to embrace it (and actively participate in it's development - it is a completely open project after all) would set LP apart from the competition.
archer53x

Postby juliohm830 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 pm

I suggested a thread on their forum, and one interesting idea came up. Maybe in the future LastPass could become a SQRL client app itself. It could manage your SQRL master key and fall back to traditional usernames/passwords for sites that do not support it.
juliohm830

Next

Return to Feature Requests