Private key field in the SSH Key secure note

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Private key field in the SSH Key secure note

Postby jamesdh » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Prior to today, this issue has been a nuisance at best. I used the LastPass command line tool to correctly copy/paste SSH keys in/out of LastPass. The issue doesn't seem to be in how they store it, just in how their crummy clients display it. When copying pub/priv keys from their command line tool, it correctly preserves the formatting.

However, starting today, while trying to use terminal applications on my iPad and iPhone and hence copy SSH keys directly from their clients, I can't get around this issue. Yes @jpenny84 I tried creating a custom template. The same problem persists. No matter the template their clients do not correctly preserve formatting when copying.

For me, as a paying customer, this is the straw that broke the camels back. This is a bug that's been around for years now. It's just a matter of fixing their clients, yet they do nothing. The primary competition has surpassed LastPass so severely that it's borderline foolish investing anymore time or effort integrating your workflow with this tool.
jamesdh

Postby hermdog » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:34 am

I am attempting to use this as well, and found i can only store one line.. :( can I attach a file ??

i got very excited when seeing this command line too.
and now i feel let down..
hermdog

Postby KergeKacsa » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:34 pm

It's a shame that nobody at Lastpass gives a damn about a feature which is not only useless, but alters our inserted data, making it dangerous... :/
KergeKacsa

Postby jamesdh » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

Can't believe this bug still exists.

Just created a Team account, added various keys and other info for our company and invited key coworkers so we had an easy + central place to store this info.

Each of my coworkers collectively just encountered this bug.

If they can't get this right, should we really be trusting them with the security of our data?
jamesdh

Postby jamesdh » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 am

LOL....trying to instead attach the keys as files to the profile, LastPass gives the error "Unsupported file type"

This is impressively bad.
jamesdh

Postby jpenny84 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 pm

jamesdh Wrote:LOL....trying to instead attach the keys as files to the profile, LastPass gives the error "Unsupported file type"

This is impressively bad.

Is the file in fact a supported file type?

https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass ... 050001#Add
jpenny84

Postby jamesdh » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:26 pm

jpenny84 Wrote:Is the file in fact a supported file type?

https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass ... 050001#Add

It's a Secure Note of type SSH Key. If it's not a supported type, it certainly should be.
jamesdh

Postby jamesdh » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Yes, I can append a .key extension to make the LastPass Gods content. But that's gross since it's generally used for Keynote (at least on OSX).

Why require an extension from some arbitrary list? The attachment feature should be extension agnostic. Is anyone there aware of just how tiny that list is relevant to the range of possibilities?
jamesdh

Postby jamesdh » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:17 am

I reported this issue using LastPass's "Support Ticket" system. Got the following response...

We have reported it to our development team for review. For now, you could only use the cli to copy.

...a few days later they closed my ticket as "resolved". So, yea, good luck with this hot garbage. The overwhelming conclusion I'm starting to draw is that if you want to store anything more than simple strings, LastPass is not the tool for you.
jamesdh

Postby PublicDana » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:49 pm

For what it's worth, I think this issue may now be fixed (17 March 2019). The trick is, don't trust the "copy" button.

Not knowing any better, today I created an SSH Key note. Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I had created an SSH key (using PuTTY).

Today I copied/pasted its public key (the contents of id_rsa.pub) into the "public key" field. Which, everybody agrees, works just fine.

Next, I copied/pasted its private key (the contents of id_rsa.ppk, which is the format PuTTY uses) into the "private key" field.

Having read all 5 pages of this thread, I also pasted it into my Notes field.

In the LP secure note, the Private Key field only shows the first line -- and only the first part of the first line, of course. It's a relatively small-looking field.

And if you press the field's "copy" button, you only get the first line of the key. Just like everyone has said.

However. If you go old-school -- put your cursor somewhere in the field, press CTRL*-A (select all), then press CTRL*-C (copy) -- then you get the whole darned thing.

Which you'll discover when you create a new blank document in, say, your NotePad++ editor, and press CTRL*-V (paste). Because then you'll get the full private key. Including the all-important line breaks.

*I'm a Windows guy, so that's what I use. If you're on other OSs, then of course use what you use.

So I think we're good on this, now. Just don't trust the "copy" button. Select-all, copy, then paste. No school like the old school.

Best wishes, all.
PublicDana

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests