Private key field in the SSH Key secure note

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Private key field in the SSH Key secure note

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:48 pm

MxxCon Wrote:
jpenny84 Wrote:
ogarcia Wrote:Same here. Please, fix it so we can store PEM files.

You've been able to make your own custom template for some time now.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2016/07/diy-w ... ates.html/

So then what's the point of providing a broken template? Either remove it outright or fix it.
We are talking about a straight up DATA CORRUPTION problem here!
Just as it is unacceptable for lastpass to mangle my saved passwords, so is it is unacceptable for it to mangle any other data I entrust it to keep secure...

I don't work for LastPass. The point I was trying to make is that if someone doesn't like the default template, they can easily make their own with as many copyable fields as they want in 5 minutes or less.
jpenny84

Postby MxxCon » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:37 pm

It's not about "not liking" it, it's about the fact that the shipped template corrupts entered data...
MxxCon

Postby johndoe9393 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:04 am

This thread is a sad evidence that LastPass either does not understand the problem or does not give a s--- about their users feedback. I guess they understand, but...
Creating a "Custom Template" does not solve the problem at all, because there is no way to add more than one "Note" field to a template. So one could either paste the private OR the public key, but never both. Also it is not possible to edit the label of a note field, it is always called "Note".
Of course we do not know their code and the effort it would take to fix this, but a simple comment like "We will probably fix this in the future" would show that someone of LastPass Corp. (at least sometimes) reads posts in this forum.
johndoe9393

Postby MxxCon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:17 pm

johndoe9393 Wrote:This thread is a sad evidence that LastPass either does not understand the problem or does not give a s--- about their users feedback. I guess they understand, but...
Creating a "Custom Template" does not solve the problem at all, because there is no way to add more than one "Note" field to a template. So one could either paste the private OR the public key, but never both. Also it is not possible to edit the label of a note field, it is always called "Note".
Of course we do not know their code and the effort it would take to fix this, but a simple comment like "We will probably fix this in the future" would show that someone of LastPass Corp. (at least sometimes) reads posts in this forum.

To be fair, OpenSSH's public key format is a single line, it doesn't need line breaks the way private key does.
Also, if you have a private key, you can derive its public key, so you don't "have to" save a public key.

Your other points are accurate.
MxxCon

Re: Copy Passphrase on SSH Key Secure Note

Postby Xcentric » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:32 pm

a lot of +++ !!!
it looks extremely odd that there is still no such feature
Xcentric

Improve Copy actions for SSH Key notes.

Postby MicahZoltu » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:53 pm

The things I want to be able to copy out of my SSH Key, in order of use frequency:
1. Passphrase. This is needed every time I want to use the key, so by far the most frequently copied piece of data.
2. Public Key. This is needed anytime I want to share/post/upload my key to some new host.
3. Private Key. This is needed whenever I am at a new machine that doesn't have my keys on them.
4. Hostname. If I have a separate private key per host, this can be useful for quickly getting what may be a long/complex hostname instead of typing it out.
The rest of the things aren't particularly useful to be copied IMO.

Unfortunately, the two things that can be copied right now are the "Note", which I don't know why I would ever want to copy, and the "Key", which is quite ambiguous but currently means "Private Key". For the time being, I store all my SSH Keys as "Sites" because that gives me a much more reasonable and intuitive set of things to copy (username = public key and password = passphrase). I would much rather use the SSH Key note as it is a better fit but without easy access to the passphrase and public key it just isn't worth it.
MicahZoltu

Re: Improve Copy actions for SSH Key notes.

Postby bshacklett » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:20 pm

I've seen this request numerous times, but it seems to be spread out over multiple threads. I would encourage you to submit this as formal feedback at https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php?lpnorefresh=1. One of the options is "Suggest an Improvement".
bshacklett

Postby MicahZoltu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:19 pm

bshacklett Wrote:I've seen this request numerous times, but it seems to be spread out over multiple threads. I would encourage you to submit this as formal feedback at https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php?lpnorefresh=1. One of the options is "Suggest an Improvement".

Done. I didn't even know there was a feedback form.
MicahZoltu

Postby kottalovag » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:40 pm

Why is this not resolved???
kottalovag

Postby bshacklett » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 am

I'm curious, MicahZoitu, did you ever get a response to your query? I got the typical "I'll send this over to our developers" message and then the ticket was closed. I've just re-opened it to see if I can get any further details, but it's not looking good on my end.
bshacklett

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests