Lifetime Premium Membership Offer

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Lifetime Premium Membership Offer

Postby sixshot » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:23 pm

I'm still one of the bunches of people who would have opted for a lifetime premium. I'd pay any reasonable price if it means I get to pay once and not have to worry about recurring payment. Let's throw in another example into the mix.

The messaging software, Trillian, has both a free and Pro version. The Pro version has a recurring licensing subscription. People can opt in to pay $20/year and utilize the Pro features. Or, since Cerulean (the Trillian devs) offers it, pay $60 up front and receive a lifetime license of Pro. Obviously, I went with the lifetime option. Granted, the pricing was different a few years back since that's when I bought the lifetime license. But to me it was worth it in the end. Eventually, the cost will balance itself out in X years (forgot how much it was per month when I purchased).

As long as LastPass is offering a recurring payment system, I have chosen to not to get Premium. Only when they offer a lifetime premium will I buy it on the spot.
sixshot

Postby larry330 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:05 am

I also like to see perpetual licenses as a general principal, but fully understand that there is an ongoing cost to supply the back-end infrastructure to make LastPass work and continued development of both client and server side software. I view the 10 year prepay as protection against price increases. Aside from open source free alternatives, LastPass at $12/year is an incredible deal given the daily value I receive from the product. Just look at one of their primary competitors having increased their yearly subscription price from $20/year to $40/year with a $10/year jump each of the past years. If I was using that product, I'd be looking to jump ship to LastPass ASAP. Is this other product nice? Yes, but LastPass has broader client support and each one still has advantages over the other.
larry330

Postby awadrummer » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:19 pm

@k3V!n - You are correct in that if you prepay for ten years they get the full dollar value upfront without having to worry about the devaluation of the dollar. However, what you are not taking into account is that they'll simply raise prices over the coming years to compensate for inflation. Therefore the benefit to paying ten years out is that if the price jumps to 15 dollars a year next year you've already paid the lower amount so you've got a better value.

With that being said, I do think they should offer multi-year discounts and a lifetime license option.
awadrummer

Postby cliff330 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:31 pm

I too really wanted to purchase a Lifetime Premium Membership for LastPass. Though after giving it some thought I decided it was unnecessary. Technology changes at a rapid rate. The LastPass application you use today is not likely the application you will be using 15 years from now. It might be a completely new product from LastPass or it might even be another product entirely. I paid for the premium SplashID on my Palm PDA back in the 90's thinking I would never have to buy another password manager again. While it is true that splashdata is still around, their apps for iOS and Android left much to be desired so I switched to LastPass and besides, the premium I purchased for the Palm would not have applied to an iPhone. Biometric scanners are rapidly becoming ubiquitous on cell phones. Specifically iPhone and Samsung offer phones with fingerprint readers and front-facing cameras with facial recognition. Every year phone manufacturers struggle to add that killer new feature that is going to get you to buy a new phone and let's face it, you can only add so many cameras. Eventually Apple and Alphabet are going to develop their own password management software that tightly integrates into their phones and leverages the biometric hardware for a supposedly more secure password safe. Some will opt out for fear of big brother having access to too much of their data, but those who do will struggle with poor integration. I have decided I am very happy with LastPass for now and will continue to pay year-to-year until something better comes along.
cliff330

Postby jrossi85 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:55 pm

I am a new user to LastPass and I am not completely sold on sticking with LastPass forever. I am currently considering looking for other options that have lifetime premium memberships (or just free memberships that include the premium advantages of LastPass) prior to choosing what I will stick with. I, too, do not wish to have yet another site that I have a recurring subscription service on.
jrossi85

Postby sharhp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:56 pm

I too would very much like to avail a Lifetime Premium Membership option :D . With all that is discussed it seems a viable option. Please look into bringing it :) .
May be you could as well keep it a limited period offer, so that current users of LastPass could get notified of it & take benefit of the service with more enthusiasm. You might withdraw the offer after a certain period (if its a concern to you) 8-)
sharhp

Postby sharhp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:58 pm

Instead you could also think of offering a 20, 30 or even a 50 year license at a discounted price... That would be advantageous to you too :) !
sharhp

Postby fryrpc6 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:07 am

With the overnight doubling of the premium account that would jump from $600 to $1200 for the 50 year licence. The discount is included -
lock in the new double price before it doubles again ;-)
fryrpc6

Postby MikeGold » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:32 am

I love what LastPass provide and I would be interested in Premium but only with the lifetime subscription. I don't like recurring payments and will never go premium unless I will be able to get lifetime.
MikeGold

Postby x » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:09 am

Another very satisfied customer who is about to switch because you guys don't offer a lifetime option. :cry:

I like being able to support projects I have come to like as much as yours, but it just doesn't make sense. I can sacrifice a couple features (or just a bit of convenience) for a product I can invest in longterm and not have to pay for every X months/years/whatever.
x

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests