Change multiple passwords at once - by password

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Change multiple passwords at once - by password

Postby justdave72 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:29 am

Background:
1. I have a corporate LDAP login which works across a wide variety of corporate-owned sites spread across several different domain names.
2. I'm required to change my password every 3 months.
3. I use a specific password for my corporate login which is always unique from everything else.
4. Not every subdomain in the above-mentioned domains uses the LDAP-based login service.
5. Some sites use my email address registered in LDAP as the login name, some use my unix shell account name. They all use the same password, it's two different ways of refering to the same account.

What I used to do when using the Firefox built-in Password Manager:
1. I could use the "Mass Password Reset" extension to search for all sites that used that specific password.
2. I could apply a password change to all matching sites in bulk.

As you can see, that was *really* painless, and my password changes were all taken care of at once.

When using LastPass:
1. There appears to be no way to search for sites using a specific password or apply bulk changes to them
2. When I change a password on one site, it prompts me with a list of sites in the same parent domain with the same username, asking if I should change those to match.

Problems with the current LastPass method:
1. It only prompts for sites that are a) in the same parent domain, and b) use the same username
2. As mentioned above, my login is used on multiple parent domains and has two different ways to specify the username
3. Also as mentioned above, not every site in a given parent domain actually uses the LDAP login, even though some of them do have a matching username, and we actually have a LOT of sites, and it's really hard to remember which ones use it and which ones don't when it comes time to check all those boxes in the "do you also want to change?" dialog.

Anyone have any good solutions for this problem? As it stands, I'm still finding sites that need the password changed a month after my password changed, and I have to change it every 3 months. This is really painful compared to the built-in password manager in Firefox where I could change them all at once and be done with it. And LastPass is supposed to make my life easier?

A really easy solution for LastPass would be to allow me to search my vault by password and not just by site and username, because that's a sure-fire way to find them all.

I realize you can use the "How secure are you?" test to find sites that have passwords that match, but you can't bulk-change them from there, which makes it almost useless when I then have to go back to my vault and look for every one of those sites individually to change them (and there are several dozen). Please provide a solution for this in the next version! :) Thanks!
justdave72

Re: Change multiple passwords at once - by password

Postby jonat » Thu May 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Have you tried using the "equivalent domains" feature in Account Settings to have LP treat the various domains as the same?
jonat

Postby justdave72 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 pm

But that treats the entire domain (and all its subdomains) as the same (according to the docs, demos, and forum posts I've found), and there are several sites under that domain which use different passwords. That would work great if there was a way to tag specific site entries as belonging to the equivalency group instead of just specifying a domain.
justdave72

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu May 30, 2013 4:39 pm

justdave72 Wrote:But that treats the entire domain (and all its subdomains) as the same (according to the docs, demos, and forum posts I've found), and there are several sites under that domain which use different passwords. That would work great if there was a way to tag specific site entries as belonging to the equivalency group instead of just specifying a domain.

You can go the other way with URLRules though -- tag the domains as equivalent then say which hosts aren't included in that...
JoeSiegrist

Postby justdave72 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Hmm, that might be doable. But that takes me back to the original problem, how do I figure out which ones are which to get the subdomains I need to exclude if I can't search by password?
justdave72

Postby justdave72 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:59 pm

I guess the other thing I need to know is if I put domains into an equivalence group and there are existing sites in that resulting group that are already saved using different passwords, what happens to those?
justdave72

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu May 30, 2013 5:17 pm

justdave72 Wrote:I guess the other thing I need to know is if I put domains into an equivalence group and there are existing sites in that resulting group that are already saved using different passwords, what happens to those?

They're still in there, and whatever the best URL match will end up winning so those sites will still fill with what's saved...
JoeSiegrist

Postby justdave72 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:35 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:They're still in there, and whatever the best URL match will end up winning so those sites will still fill with what's saved...

OK, and that means all of the existing ones that match the main login will still be there, too, cluttering up space in my vault and no longer necessary, I'm guessing. :)
justdave72

Postby justdave72 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 pm

So now my problem, after grouping the domains in the equivalent domains list) is any time I get one that doesn't automatically fill, and I right click on the field and pick Autofill, it gives me a list of 150 sites to pick from to get the password to use (every one under all four domains), including both the ones that match the central login and all of the unique ones.
justdave72

Postby justdave72 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:26 pm

OK, so I'm still trying to work out how to make this work right.

1) I put all four of the parent domains into Equivalent Domains as a single entity.
2) I've used URL rules to identify most of the sites which don't use the global username/password for the domains, which correctly makes those domains only offer their own username/password for autofill

The problem I have now is when on any of the sites that do use the global user/pass, I get offered all of the passwords for all of the sites in the parent domains, even the ones that the URL rules exist for to specific match other sites. I'm a sysadmin for a company with a lot of individual websites. I kid you not when I say there are hundreds in the list. Any time I'm on one of the sites that uses the global user/pass, I get offered not only the global user/pass (which is buried somewhere in the middle of the list) but the user/pass for all of the individual non-global sites in the list as well.

Is there a way to make it so that when I'm on a site in those equivalent domains which does not have a specific URL rule matching it to ONLY show the global ones for the equivalent domains, and not the ones that have specific rules matching them?
justdave72

Next

Return to Feature Requests