Display/copy specific characters from password

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Display/copy specific characters from password

Postby MattW » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:48 am

I'm fustrated that this feature doesn't exist yet - this is an authentication method not going away in the UK and whilst I agree with some of the principles raised, these banks are not want to listen to "uninformed" highstreet consumers.

Please can you implement something like this - even if it is an optional plain text overlay I can elect to display for certain pages that saves me from having to edit the site each time to display the password.
MattW

Postby TerminalVeracity » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20 am

Surprising this simple feature hasn't been added after so many years. It's clear this technique is not going away, and it's a pain to manage in Lastpass at the moment. Please implement a solution.
TerminalVeracity

Postby progers885 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:46 am

Again re visiting this after 4 years and the European banks have not changed their security I hasten to point out that this random character from memorable information is in addition to the username/password which makes it more secure .........

the work around appears to be recording the memorable information in the notes section of site ie:-

memorable info: IgnoredByLastpass

then when prompted for it by the site to open the vault, open the site select edit to view the notes section and enter the requested characters.

I don't see whats different from me doing this laborious work around and last pass having a pop up with a login tip or am I mistaken in the basic function of what a password manger is there for?
progers885

Postby r57rjb » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:26 am

I'm in the UK and have to access a fund website every day that requires partial password entry. This has been a requirement for quite a while.
I have had to create an easy memorable password to log into to this site.
"LastPass remembers all your passwords, so you don't have to." - er...not true!

So what is the point of using Lastpass?
r57rjb

Postby Techno81 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:56 pm

This is becoming more and more popular.

My Bank now requires nth characters from my Passwords and My PIN.

Auto login feature with Last Pass is now no longer possible :-(
Techno81

Postby mxpitt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:35 am

I have complained to the bank regarding its use of entering specific characters instead of the whole password. This was the suggestion by Lastpass but the bank is insistent that their security approach is correct.
Therefore, I would like to add my voice to the many users, particularly in the UK, who would like an extra feature in Lasspass to make this process easier.
Please add to the features request list.
mxpitt

Postby sparkz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:37 am

I have the same problem. I agree the banks are wrong but they don't want to know (typical arrogance). Security is actually no better and I have increased chances of getting locked out of my account!

So we are left with the problem that I have to use some other way of remembering passwords for these sites. Surely, it can't be that difficult to come up with a solution to this. I'm sorry but the first product that does have an answer for this, I'll be moving to.
sparkz

Postby phit03 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:52 am

I agree entirely with previous posters on this. LatPass should support any method to automate the logon process irrespective of whether it is (in their opinion) unsafe.
By all means give a warning when the site is captured but leave it to the individual to choose whether to use that method.
I will certainly not renew my LastPass subscription this year and I suggest others do the same in protest over this high handed approach.
phit03

Postby ross992 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:14 am

I have migrated all of my passwords from KeePass to LastPass with the exception of my banking passwords for this very reason.
Keepass allows a prompt for selected characters and also the selection of one or more "memorable" answers.

This is the only reason why I still have two password managers
ross992

Partial passwords (again!)

Postby hollymcr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:57 pm

I know this crops up periodically: Can LP have the feature to allow users to select specific characters from a password, rather than having to display the entire password and work it out manually?

And I do understand the reluctance, the hope that banks across Europe in particular who use this practise will stop doing so in the interests of better security.

Since the last time I looked into this, two more of the banks I use have implemented this method. So I'm going to try again to make the case, taking into account all the criticisms that I'm aware of.

What I currently do when I have to log in to my bank which uses partial passwords is to copy my full password to the clipboard (security risk #1), and paste it somewhere (security risk #2). I then cursor through it to find the characters I've been asked for (which is somewhat error prone on a long password) and enter them into the site. That's the baseline, and it's one which LP could, if it chose to, rise considerably above.

Now consider a site (hopefully not a bank!) that only allows an 8 character alpha-numeric password. LP doesn't refuse to help and tell me I should complain to the site and then take my custom elsewhere. It does the best it can, ensuring I at least have a random unique password for that site which never sits in the clipboard or in full view.

There's no debate that the banks are the problem here, but neither I nor LP can change that. LP could at least make it possible for me to use a secure, lengthy, unique password which never goes to the clipboard or on display in full, though, which would be a big improvement on where I am now.

So is this a definite "won't fix on principle"? Or can we have a debate about the best/simplest way to improve on the status quo?
hollymcr

Previous

Return to Feature Requests