Display/copy specific characters from password

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Display/copy specific characters from password

Postby GeoffW » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:59 am

I agree, ALL my banking and other financial sites in the UK use password character selection for login and they are not going to change that. As a previous user said, it is pointless responding that this is bad practice: the fact is it is a practice adopted by major institutions throughout Europe so we need a solution.

The lack of any support to help deal with this in LastPass means that the sites where login security is most important to me are actually the least secure, as I have to fully open the LastPass entry for the site and display the password in order to figure out the characters I need.

A login tip solution would help and be easy to implement, though it is not ideal for security.
Adding a LastPass feature allowing specific characters to be copied from the password so that they can be pasted into the login form would be an ideal solution.
GeoffW

Postby progers885 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:22 am

Judging by the response from LP they do not consider feature requests from Europe worthy of a response other than lobby your financial institutes, I doubt they would have said this about US financial institutes if the US had adopted this form of password authentication :)
progers885

Postby lastmanstanding » Fri May 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Adding this as a request ... this has become the one area where I now use the same password for multiple sites, and keep the word unhidden in my LastPass notes ... thanks!
lastmanstanding

Postby captaincrash » Sun May 17, 2015 6:31 am

Being in the ITSM industry - I can confirm that this isn't a poor practice all. It's based on the principal of having some identifiable information which is never wholly transmitted together, so if the communication to the banks servers is compromised this still doesn't' compromise the account. Most banks in the UK use this mechanism in addition to a regular password and I, like other posters, have to wrestle with manually looking up this data each time I log in to one of these sites.

Ideally this would be a string which in which character indexes are automatically illustrated (being 0 or 1 based would need to be configurable as I've seen both used), however the the login tip approach which Robform uses is probably the simplest/most flexible mechanism to implement.

I switched from Roboform (which I was very happy with) because they didn't have a Windows Phone application, now they do I'm contemplating switching back because I have to deal with a lot of sites that work in this way, so another +1 for this feature please.
captaincrash

Postby kwood » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:51 am

Another +1 for this. I'm also a UK resident, and I think all my financial institutions (banks, credit cards etc) use some form of this. I'd love to use a generated password for them since they're, y'know, possibly my most important online login accounts, but I'd really rather not count out characters on a random password every time I need to use one of these accounts.
kwood

Postby figomann » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:29 am

+1. From the UK as well and this is happening on multiple sites these days.
figomann

Postby dlorde » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:17 pm

+1. Also from UK.
dlorde

Postby TreesAreBlue » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Did this request ever get anywhere? I've just opened an account with Santander and their personal banking side requires this kind of password entry :/
TreesAreBlue

Postby past1976213 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:18 am

As with other respondents I find it unhelpful to be told to simply complain to my financial institution. Four out of five of my financial institutions require specific character login. I have found Last Pass very useful up to now but if they do not come up with a solution to this they should not be surprised if their customers move elsewhere.
past1976213

Postby platypus758 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:23 pm

Another vote for this, also based in the UK. In the mean time one thing that might help is, when displaying a password in the Vault, to display characters in groups of four (or maybe shade alternate groups of four characters) to make it easier to count characters.
platypus758

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests