Ability to disable LastPass on Android as a browser

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Ability to disable LastPass on Android as a browser

Postby osalas88396 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:23 pm

The solution posted by philiptd by using Elixir 2 did the trick. Thanks!
osalas88396

Postby 100bagger » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:04 pm

+1 from another paying customer. I see that osalas88396 most recently stated (last March) that the Elixir 2 solution solves this problem. But I have confirmed that unfortunately it does NOT solve the problem at least on the Samsung Galaxy S5.

I LOVE LastPass on the PC and also on my phone. But I absolutely HATE the fact that EVERY single time I open any web link from any app on my phone I must always choose between my default browser and the LastPass browser. This ranks as one of the top 3 most annoying problems on my phone right now. When I did a web search for this problem I was completely flabbergasted to learn that my exact problem verbatim was reported in this LastPass user support forum as early as THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO! This is such a long running thread that the problem is freshly reported on average every 6 months for the past 3.5 years! Here is the report log:

04/09/12 - ericcl first reported the problem
04/10/12 - Chrstauffe seconded
05/03/12 - OwenKelly +1
12/12/13 - thetwentyone17 +1
08/14/14 - DrMacinyasha +1
11/02/14 - Dunecat +1
02/04/15 - ljmvss538 +1

For each of these users (plus me) that took the time to report the problem there are likely 100 other users who are also frustrated but just didn't take the time to register their complaint.

There are lots of competing password management apps cropping up and also Chrome's improved built-in password manager. So the persistence of this annoying LastPass problem and blatant disregard for their users' frustrations will very likely cost LastPass many customers who migrate to other password manager solutions.

LastPass please, please, please add this request to your product backlog and give it a priority that recognizes it's one of the longest standing gripes out there! And then I wish you long years and a growing customer base. Thanks!
100bagger

Postby jpenny84 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:50 pm

100bagger Wrote:
I LOVE LastPass on the PC and also on my phone. But I absolutely HATE the fact that EVERY single time I open any web link from any app on my phone I must always choose between my default browser and the LastPass browser. This ranks as one of the top 3 most annoying problems on my phone right now. When I did a web search for this problem I was completely flabbergasted to learn that my exact problem verbatim was reported in this LastPass user support forum as early as THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO! This is such a long running thread that the problem is freshly reported on average every 6 months for the past 3.5 years!

If the phone keeps prompting for a browser choice despite having a default browser selected, it sounds like a phone issue. Have you tried clearing the defaults for all the installed browsers, and re-selecting your preferred browser as the default?
jpenny84

Postby anchorflow864 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:04 pm

The easiest way to prevent LastPass from being used as the default browser is to go to Settings, Applications, click on LastPass, and then choose "Clear Defaults" under where it tells you that Last Pass is currently the default application for some things.
anchorflow864

Postby steve91311 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:17 am

specific to @anchorflow864's reply posted on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:04 pm

This does not work on my Android 4.4.2.
The "Clear defaults" button for LastPass app is disabled. And still, opening a link in another app offers LastPass as a browser.

To LastPass/LogMeIn:

I want this disabled. And I want this disabled now!
Seriously, I consider this a security issue.
It's an unwanted "resource" on a mobile device.
Therefore, it's bloatware.
And without knowing for a fact, I think it's only there for LastPass/LogMeIn to snoop into browsing habits. Go ahead and prove me wrong. :D
steve91311

Postby jpenny84 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:35 pm

steve91311 Wrote:specific to @anchorflow864's reply posted on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:04 pm

This does not work on my Android 4.4.2.
The "Clear defaults" button for LastPass app is disabled. And still, opening a link in another app offers LastPass as a browser.

To LastPass/LogMeIn:

I want this disabled. And I want this disabled now!
Seriously, I consider this a security issue.
It's an unwanted "resource" on a mobile device.
Therefore, it's bloatware.
And without knowing for a fact, I think it's only there for LastPass/LogMeIn to snoop into browsing habits. Go ahead and prove me wrong. :D

The default browser prompt is an operating system message. If clearing the defaults in your browser app settings doesn't resolve the issue, then you will need to contact your cellular or phone provider for troubleshooting.
jpenny84

Postby vradla859 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:50 am

@anchorflow864
Thank you, this solved the issue for me!!
vradla859

Postby dkwmycell831 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:57 pm

It looks as though this option was included later on, because I'd never experienced this issue since I started using Last Pass Android for Chrome last year. However, around mid- August of 2017 since an Android update, I've dealt with the same issue on my Blu phone, which I thought was spam at first, and it looks as though they removed whatever ability one had to disable LastPass Android from launching to a built-tin browser by default, along with revamping the main site that now has no "General" menu option.

I know that there was a major security breach earlier this year, that may have compelled LastPass Admin to make certain changes to keep their reputation intact; but I do not understand why they cannot give people a choice to take a risk in using thier own chosen browsers, particularly when the default browser pages launches to annoying sponsored sites like http://www.wowcoolwow.com, and http://www.zlnav.com, of which even blocking via Chrome's "content/cookies" or while using LastPass' own "Never URL" list option when on pc, does not stop. Downgrading apks doesn't help either, since the main program's menu has been changed.

LastPass was THE BEST for handling passwords ONLY, NOT for forcing their own built-in browsers on users as other password programs do as well and they should've kept it that way, because this seriously has me considering NOT renewing my annual premium membership in a few months.
dkwmycell831

Postby jpenny84 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm

dkwmycell831 Wrote:It looks as though this option was included later on, because I'd never experienced this issue since I started using Last Pass Android for Chrome last year. However, around mid- August of 2017 since an Android update, I've dealt with the same issue on my Blu phone, which I thought was spam at first, and it looks as though they removed whatever ability one had to disable LastPass Android from launching to a built-tin browser by default, along with revamping the main site that now has no "General" menu option.

I know that there was a major security breach earlier this year, that may have compelled LastPass Admin to make certain changes to keep their reputation intact; but I do not understand why they cannot give people a choice to take a risk in using thier own chosen browsers, particularly when the default browser pages launches to annoying sponsored sites like http://www.wowcoolwow.com, and http://www.zlnav.com, of which even blocking via Chrome's "content/cookies" or while using LastPass' own "Never URL" list option when on pc, does not stop. Downgrading apks doesn't help either, since the main program's menu has been changed.

LastPass was THE BEST for handling passwords ONLY, NOT for forcing their own built-in browsers on users as other password programs do as well and they should've kept it that way, because this seriously has me considering NOT renewing my annual premium membership in a few months.

In the almost six years I've been using LastPass on Android, I have never once been forced to use the in-app browser. You need to troubleshoot your phone or operating system. It's not respecting your choice of default browser.
jpenny84

Postby dkwmycell831 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Okay, after an extensive session, and using multiple anti-virus apps one after the other, it turned out to be a hijack, so after deleting it's "situation normal" again.
dkwmycell831

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests