Ability to disable LastPass on Android as a browser

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Ability to disable LastPass on Android as a browser

Postby ericcl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:34 pm

I wish +LastPass would stop pretending to be a browser on Android. Every browser link Intent that opens gives me two choices, Browser and LastPass. I never want LastPass, ever. Don't get me wrong, I love Lastpass and I appreciate that they rescued XMarks from the dustbin, but I just need a password manager that rocks. Let me copy the password easily and paste it easily into Browser or Chrome. I'm sure some people love the built-in browser, so I'm not saying to scrap it, just let me disable it.

The problem is not that I have to override the browser "a couple of times" but rather "a couple of times each day". That's what is aggravating. If it were a simple matter of checking the box, that would be fine, but it seems every link requires a new type of intent. The worst culprit seems to be links to the BBC from Google Reader, but its not exclusive.

I just want a checkbox in +LastPass to let me disable the browser intent so the built-in browser works without competition.

Thanks
ericcl

Re: Ability to disable LastPass on Android as a browser

Postby Chrstauffe » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:41 am

I second that word for word.

Please give us a disable lastpass browser function!!!!

Please let me just turn the dang thing off. The choose default browser doesn't work. Every blessed link in every program prompts me for the choice and it is really getting on my last nerves. All i want is an awesome password manager which lastpass is and is the reason i choose to pay for it.

I beg of you add a feature to turn off the lastpass browser.

Some helpful info

My Families phones both doing the same thing

Samsung Galaxy SII - running android 2.3.6
Samsung Galaxy SII SkyRocket - Running Android 2.3.5

Both running default browsers now.
Tried both

Firefox 10.03 - with lastpass addon
Dolphin HD (latest version) - with lastpass addon
Chrstauffe

Postby ericcl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Does anyone from the LastPass team have a comment on this? I've uninstalled LP on my Android devices and installed an old copy of SplashID (ick). I don't like having asynchronous password databases, but it's a lot less nuisance than choosing "Browser" 4 or 5 times a day. Passwords, for the most part, are pretty static so if I sync bi-monthly, that's enough.
ericcl

Postby ericcl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:02 pm

@macdacmmnn, there's no need to discuss privately with PM. If you feel your use case is covered by the software the way it is, that's great. I'm not challenging that the software works for people. I'm asking that the developers look at what I have raised and @Chrstauffe has agreed to. The behavior of the app on Android needs to be tweaked, not changed drastically. I still use LastPass on multiple desktop machines and it's great there, it just needs this feature to be configurable on Android.
ericcl

Postby Lars » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:15 pm

You can always set the non-LastPass browser as your standard, that way the choice will not reappear.

macdacmmnn is a spammer and has been banned.
Lars

Postby ericcl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the heads-up on the spammer.

The problem is the choice doesn't stick. As I mention in my first post, there are lots of things that trigger browser intents (ex. launch BBC articles from Google Reader). They are just different enough that they each think they need to ask. I never want to use LastPass as a browser, I just want it to store and retrieve passwords. So I want to disable the broadcast receiver altogether.

-E
ericcl

Postby Chrstauffe » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Just to keep this tread going. As ericcl stated the setting does not work. On my phone, every single link i click it asks me what browser i want to use. i am now at the point were i am ready to remove last pass from my phone. I really don't want to do this but i don't see any other choose. the worse part is that LastPass doesn't even work with the build in browser and to make things worse if i do choose the LastPass browser i still have to go into the LastPass vault to get my passwords. Getting very frustrated on my phone.

Funny though because i absolutely LOVE LastPass on my PC.

All we are requesting is a way to disable the browser on Android. This is not a complicated request. Especially for a paying customer.
Chrstauffe

Postby OwenKelly » Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 am

+1 from me.

I too am a paying customer, and I would also like to be able to set LastPass so that Android never offers to use it as a browser.

Cheers
Owen
OwenKelly

Postby thetwentyone17 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Please implement this! I love LP but hate this aspect!
thetwentyone17

Postby philiptd » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:07 pm

The LastPass browser can be disabled with Elixir 2: Applications > LastPass > View Details > WebBrowserActivity > Disable
philiptd

Next

Return to Feature Requests