Firefox compact toolbar small icon

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Firefox compact toolbar small icon

Postby yehoni » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:53 pm

This is the weirdest implementation of a Firefox button I've ever seen. Why not just implement the button with text that can be hidden like any other button? Firefox's own toolbar customization supports that option. By using a unique checkbox in the extensions options, you've unnecessarily complicated the matter, and created a conflict with at least one extension that I know of (the All-in-One-Sidebar extension has trouble with this).
yehoni

Re: Firefox compact toolbar small icon

Postby JoeSiegrist » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:11 am

yehoni Wrote:This is the weirdest implementation of a Firefox button I've ever seen. Why not just implement the button with text that can be hidden like any other button? Firefox's own toolbar customization supports that option. By using a unique checkbox in the extensions options, you've unnecessarily complicated the matter, and created a conflict with at least one extension that I know of (the All-in-One-Sidebar extension has trouble with this).

We show state with our button, and have to reset the button on status changes; I'm not sure if that's possible with the standard method -- the last time we tried, we couldn't reliably figure out the current requested state due to bugs with Firefox and everyone ended up with small icons. We also have an IE version and try to keep it as close as possible to the Firefox version.

How does it conflict with the all-in-one-sidebar? It appears to do what's setup in LastPass inside AIOS for me.

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby yehoni » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:30 am

JoeSiegrist Wrote:
yehoni Wrote:This is the weirdest implementation of a Firefox button I've ever seen. Why not just implement the button with text that can be hidden like any other button? Firefox's own toolbar customization supports that option. By using a unique checkbox in the extensions options, you've unnecessarily complicated the matter, and created a conflict with at least one extension that I know of (the All-in-One-Sidebar extension has trouble with this).

We show state with our button, and have to reset the button on status changes; I'm not sure if that's possible with the standard method -- the last time we tried, we couldn't reliably figure out the current requested state due to bugs with Firefox and everyone ended up with small icons. We also have an IE version and try to keep it as close as possible to the Firefox version.

How does it conflict with the all-in-one-sidebar? It appears to do what's setup in LastPass inside AIOS for me.

Joe

Showing a state with a button is definitely possible with the standard implementation. Video DownloadHelper (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006) does it by changing the button from grey to colored when a video is available (very similar in appearance to what you're trying to accomplish here), Update Notifier (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2098) changes color based on the availability of updates, and Read It Later (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7661) has a counter that updates in real time. Those are just the ones I use that change based on circumstances. I'd be surprised if there weren't others.

Read It Later also has its icon text displayed to the right of the icon image, rather than below it, so it should be possible to maintain the similarity of appearance with the IE version (IE also has the option of showing icon text or not on at least some toolbars, by the way).

The conflict with AiOS comes when you try to put the LastPass button, without text, in the sidebar toolbar created by AiOS. When you restart Firefox, the toolbar expands to the width needed to accommodate the LastPass button *with* text until you right-click on the toolbar.

The problem began with the most recent update of AiOS (v 0.7.7), and that extension's author is trying to find where the conflict might be, but he just did a major code rewrite of the entire extension, and unless the fix is relatively simple, he's not going to rewrite it again to fix support for a single extension using a non-standard implementation of such a basic behavior. It would be much better if LastPass just operated the same way as every other toolbar button in the extension library.
yehoni

Postby drew » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:59 am

This should be fixed in our next release, 1.41. Please let us know if you continue to encounter issues after that.

Drew
drew

Postby yehoni » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:07 pm

drew Wrote:This should be fixed in our next release, 1.41. Please let us know if you continue to encounter issues after that.

Drew

Thank you.
yehoni

Postby yehoni » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:24 pm

drew Wrote:This should be fixed in our next release, 1.41. Please let us know if you continue to encounter issues after that.

Drew

The new version works perfectly, thanks.

Just as a suggestion (and a far less vital issue), it's a bit wider than most buttons. This makes it a bit awkward with AiOS, but no more so than other cases where the whole button is a drop-down menu. Some extensions include buttons with attached drop-down menus. In the case of LastPass, for instance, you could have the main button perform the login/My LastPass Vault functions, and have the full menu open only when the arrow is clicked. I know you're trying to keep the functionality the same as the ie version, and I'm not sure this is possible there, but it's a thought for the future. I know I for one only rarely use any of the other options on that menu.
yehoni

Return to Feature Requests