How About A Time Line For Future Fingerprint Reader Support

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

How About A Time Line For Future Fingerprint Reader Support

Postby Maddogg » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I am currently considering a switch from RoboForm to LastPass, due to RoboForm's screwed up decision to start charging for their free lifetime updates. Now, without paying for the update, RoboForm will not work with the new version of Firefox. (How convenient.) That means I'm stuck with the old version of FF until I decide what to do.

At this point, the ONLY thing keeping me from switching to LastPass is the lack of support for UPEK's fingerprint reader. (It's evidently available for the Mac, but not the PC.) My understanding of a password manager is that it needs to have a strong master password to be truly secure. And let's face it, remembering and typing a password with a mix of special characters, numbers, and upper and lower case letters can be a real pain. A good fingerprint reader solves this problem. Anyone that's ever used one knows what I'm talking about. Giving it up is like giving up the remote to you TV.

So, for now, anyway, I guess it's wait and see. Out of principle, I DO NOT want to pay for an update to a product that promised free lifetime updates at the time of purchase. Hopefully, LastPass will get busy and expand their fingerprint reader support sometime soon. If anyone has any time line information on this subject, I would appreciate it very much.
Maddogg

Re: How About A Time Line For Future Fingerprint Reader Supp

Postby Lars » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Maddogg wrote:My understanding of a password manager is that it needs to have a strong master password to be truly secure. And let's face it, remembering and typing a password with a mix of special characters, numbers, and upper and lower case letters can be a real pain.
It's actually not all that difficult and if you're serious enough about your online security, it's a must.

There are alternatives to the fingerprint reader; The Grid is free making it a nice choice. The Yubikey is not free, but it's a superfast and convenient second factor in authenticating you.
Lars

Postby ghundermark » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:23 pm

i'd like to second this. i have an eikon USB scanner but ever since i got setup with lastpass the only use i have for it is logging into windows 7. i would love it if it were compatible with lastpass.
ghundermark

Postby ChodaBoy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Yes, please add support for the UPEK EIKON readers in Windows 7! I have a Lenovo ThinkPad with a UPEK device built-in. I also have an external EIKON To Go for use with a different laptop. RoboForm works great with both. As a Premium LastPass user, I would love to have the same functionality.
ChodaBoy

Postby Estie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:20 am

I have LastPass working with 2 Eikon fingerprint readers (1 at home and 1 at work) to log into BOTH Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit AND Lastpass (all browsers)

I could ** NOT** get the Eikon software to work.

The key for me was to use Authentec's TrueSuite software instead. You can buy it independently of the Eikon fingerprint reader or as a bundle here

http://www.authentec.com/a/EikonDigital ... nager.aspx

Note that for some reason the more advanced Eikon reader didn't work (this one is a "swipe" mechanism) versus just tapping a fingerprint reading pad with your finger.
Estie

Postby ChodaBoy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:33 pm

I have a Lenovo laptop with built-in Eikon fingerprint reader that I use for work, and an ASUS laptop with USB Eikon fingerprint reader that I use for home. The main competitor product (rhymes with RoboForm) works. Alas, LastPass, has no gas. (Sorry about that.)

Please support Eikon readers under Windows.
ChodaBoy

Return to Feature Requests