Global Fingerprint Support

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Global Fingerprint Support

Postby MR-LostPass » Mon May 18, 2009 9:01 am

Hello,

i had a big wish for the future of lastpass.

I use a fingerprint reader from the factory Authentec. (build in a "Medion" case)(Driver Info: AuthenTec Inc. AES 2501A)
http://www.authentec.com/

Togehter with this fingerprint reader is use the software Omnipass from Softex.
And it works also together with the lastpass login window.

But the problem is, that i don't like that software so much because it "suck-out" the power of my PC because it have to check with an intervall if the the lastpass login window is there or not.

I would find it very cool if lastpass could make an safety way to bring Fingerprint Hardware and lastpass together.

I think at the moment its very easy to get my pass and mail from while the software Omnipass is typing this into the login-window.
Here a screen-shot:

Also there is problem if i had the SHIFT button on at this moment, but thats the fault of omnipass!

I hope really that lastpass could make fingerprint readers compatible with it.
And if you need any NON-Coding help to make this possible, ask me.

Greetings MR-LostPass
MR-LostPass

Re: Global Fingerprint Support

Postby bob » Tue May 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Multiple factors of authentication are definitely on our roadmap (we should release a new 2nd form of authentication in the next few weeks), but we haven't heard much demand for fingerprint readers (much less than I expected).

If public demand increases for fingerprint readers, I am sure it will move up in our TODO list and be done sooner.
bob

Postby astehn » Thu May 21, 2009 11:13 am

+1 for fingerprint reader support. I would LOVE it if I could use the UPEK reader built into my Dell XPS M1330 laptop to login to lastpass.
astehn

Postby MR-LostPass » Tue May 26, 2009 6:51 pm

ohh okay that means we have to wait :(

I would be very happy, if it would be possible anytime and perhaps it would be also a reason for me to buy your Premium! :D

Greetings MR-LostPass
MR-LostPass

Postby mbrown3 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:19 pm

+1,000,000 on this. I use a variety of browsers, on both Mac and PC. Lastpass has been the only thing that works across all of them, for the most part. But I'd still love to be able to use a fingerprint scanner with it.
mbrown3

Postby kvforum » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 pm

+1,000,000 on this, as well. LastPass + USB Fingerprint support is something I'd gladly upgrade to premium and pay for.

I love lastpass! I'm to the point now where I don't want to log into anything by typing. I even just registered for this forum to post this comment with 3 or 4 clicks in lastpass.

However, since so much of my sensitive information is in lastPass, keeping it secure concerns me, greatly. However, I want to sacrifice as little ease of use as possible. Ideally, I almost just want it to feel like "the internet" knows who I am while I'm on it. So, thereby, I can open any common browser on any machine and use all my social/bill/bank/forum websites whenever I need to do so. Biometrics can help users do this with little hassle.

So if I could use some type of portable fingerprint reader, like this one or any of the other ones on the page:
http://www.amazon.com/Eikon-Digital-Pri ... pd_sim_e_7

Then, in combination with lastpass, that highly desirable use case can become a reality. So it's kind of like we let the computer know, "It's me!" and from then on it doesn't pester us with silly "secret passwords" for everything.

In a perfect world, we could sit down at any computer using FF or IE, log into LastPass, connect our USB device attached to our car/house keys, then swipe our fingerprint and surf. that could either last for the day... or, if some people prefer, they could just swipe (into lastpass) every time a site needs a password.

Highly secure yet not intrusive.
kvforum

Postby acgow » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:44 am

+1!

I currently don't have a fingerprint reader but i would definitly get one if LastPass introduced built in functionality as requested above.

1. It's a very cool thing and I like cool things!
2. It improves the local security since a keylogger can't steal your password from a fingerprint. While it can if you manually type the masterpassword in to the LastPass window. I know that there's the virtual keyboard but my password is very complex and I find it incredibly annoying to type it using my mouse, therefor I just discard the Virtual Keyboard and use the real keyboard instead which makes me vulnerable to keyloggers. And in my opinion, keyloggers is far more dangerous threat then cracking password hashes etc. Because of the obvious reason, they get your masterpassword, now they have all your super secure passwords simply by logging on to the LastPass website! And keyloggers is actualy quite common in my personal experience. I love LastPass already but it has this one weakness which I just mentioned.

Fingerprint support would be an awsome thing and eliminate this!

I agree with the above that this would be a really great premium feature.
acgow

Postby bobmorgy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:29 am

Hear Hear for Fingerprint Support! - Partner with Eikon!
bobmorgy

Postby Psywiped » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:59 pm

i want to be able to save my password with a fingerprint so i don't have to type it in every time already using a yubikey. this should be easy to implement on windows 7 with its biometrics api.
Psywiped

Postby Plaskal » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:45 pm

For the record, I am a new Lastpass user and have 2x Dell M1330's in the house on which I use the UPEK fingerprint scanner for web passwords. I have hesitated to install Lastpass on those machines because it seems it does not work with the fingerprint scanner and I don't want to disable the use of the fingerprint scanner. Guess I will just have to give it a try. Maybe they can at least co-exist.

(I also have some Yubikey's and intend to start using them as well).
Plaskal

Return to Feature Requests