Type Ahead Search from Browser Toolbar

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Type Ahead Search from Browser Toolbar

Postby JoeSiegrist » Wed May 13, 2009 4:23 pm

h0pc Wrote:The search is smart enough to recognize my most likely choice (from frequency of use), but also give me other options that have a "W" anywhere before a "2" in the name. As you type more characters, the choices of course become more filtered.

Did you hit a space between W and 2? There must be a white paper on search methods over limited datasets that might have other techniques like this. Will check out your program. Thanks
JoeSiegrist

Postby tbam » Sun May 17, 2009 9:52 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:I took a stab at improving the toolbar search box in Firefox, I'd like feedback (e.g. do you want Google added?) before I continue and implement in IE: https://lastpass.com/lppre.xpi

Joe, This looks great and meets my core requirement. Any additional functionality such as adding Google (or other search providers) or providing a more sophisticated look up algorithm as h0pc pointed out would be icing on the cake for me.

Thanks,
Tom
tbam

Postby h0pc » Sun May 17, 2009 11:05 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:
h0pc Wrote:The search is smart enough to recognize my most likely choice (from frequency of use), but also give me other options that have a "W" anywhere before a "2" in the name. As you type more characters, the choices of course become more filtered.

Did you hit a space between W and 2? There must be a white paper on search methods over limited datasets that might have other techniques like this. Will check out your program. Thanks

No spacebar pressed.

-E
h0pc

Postby jafo » Tue May 19, 2009 5:06 pm

I think we are talking about the same functionality. I installed the .xpi and don't quite see it.

What I am looking for is type-ahead in the browser URL bar that shows anything from my vault that matches. I don't want to have to go to the Vault tab to see my list of sites.

FF does this already if you have a bookmark. I want the same thing with my vault bookmarks. So, maybe the easiest way is to have all vault URLS automatically added to the FF bookmarks under a LastPass folder? That way they would show up as I type in an URL. An option on whether to delete the bookmark when deleting a password entry would make this complete.

Great product. Great price. C'mon cheapskates - fork over the $12 for these programmers.

BTW - Still want a LastPass to KeePass export. Import worked 98% - had to correct a couple passwords.
jafo

Postby bTuna » Tue May 19, 2009 7:18 pm

jafo Wrote:I think we are talking about the same functionality. I installed the .xpi and don't quite see it.

What I am looking for is type-ahead in the browser URL bar that shows anything from my vault that matches. I don't want to have to go to the Vault tab to see my list of sites.

FF does this already if you have a bookmark. I want the same thing with my vault bookmarks. So, maybe the easiest way is to have all vault URLS automatically added to the FF bookmarks under a LastPass folder? That way they would show up as I type in an URL. An option on whether to delete the bookmark when deleting a password entry would make this complete.

Ah, Firefox3 "Awesome Bar" behavior.... personally, I wouldn't want that. I don't want my LastPass vault showing up in the URL bar. Perfectly happy keeping the type-ahead search in the LastPass toolbar.
bTuna

Postby jafo » Tue May 19, 2009 8:06 pm

Personal preference is a great thing.

Personally, I don't want to have to go to the vault every time I want to find one of my 100+ logins. I'd rather save a few steps and just start typing something into the address bar. Very convenient and hardly a security breach.

I'm all about convenience and ease-of-use. That's the whole reason for single-signon-software.
jafo

Postby bTuna » Thu May 21, 2009 9:59 pm

jafo Wrote:Personal preference is a great thing.

Personally, I don't want to have to go to the vault every time I want to find one of my 100+ logins. I'd rather save a few steps and just start typing something into the address bar. Very convenient and hardly a security breach.

I'm all about convenience and ease-of-use. That's the whole reason for single-signon-software.

Indeed. Though I wouldn't be interested in awesome-bar integration, I am curious as to whether it would be possible (I'm not a programmer.) My first inkling is that it wouldn't be, but then again, there are plenty of awesome-bar tweaks and addons already available, so who knows.

Also, I want to thank JoeSiegrist for his quick response to this thread, and for emailing the participants to ask their input on the modified extension. Outstanding responsiveness and user support. Between the positive impression created here, and how great LastPass has worked for me the past few weeks that I've been using it, I'm all but done with Roboform. I think the only reason I haven't uninstalled it yet is because of the investment made in my several licenses, but even with the few shortcomings I've noticed with LastPass, I'm already finding it to be a superior product in many ways... and from what I've seen here, I only expect it to keep getting better.

Great work, LP crew.
bTuna

Previous

Return to Feature Requests