Type Ahead Search from Browser Toolbar

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Type Ahead Search from Browser Toolbar

Postby tbam » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I have been following the LastPass product for a while. I am very impressed with the level of functionality that has been achieved and am looking forward to seeing support added for Windows forms/logins. I am also very impressed with the level of support that LastPass provides. I am a long time user of a competing product and I am on the verge of moving completely over to LastPass.

One feature that I would like to request is type ahead searching. Basically from the browser plugin toolbar I would like to be able to type "gma" and have a drop down list of matching items appear with the first item preselected. So in this case the selected item might be "gmail". If I wanted the selected item I would just hit Enter and the browser would navigate to the gmail site and automatically log me in. Having this sort of functionality would allow much more efficient navigation to sites.

Thanks,
Tom
tbam

Re: Type Ahead Search from Browser Toolbar

Postby JoeSiegrist » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Basically we hook into the awesome bar in Firefox? Do you have any suggestions with how to play nice with the existing functionality of bookmark/history search? Any other extension that you've seen do this well?
JoeSiegrist

Postby tbam » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:36 pm

The best example that I can give is the RoboForm toolbar. I have been heavily dependent on that for years so I do not have many other examples to offer up. I will try and find some others though.

Tom
tbam

Postby JoeSiegrist » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:38 pm

tbam Wrote:The best example that I can give is the RoboForm toolbar. I have been heavily dependent on that for years so I do not have many other examples to offer up. I will try and find some others though.

Are you searching in the URL bar or the search box inside RoboForm?
JoeSiegrist

Postby tbam » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:54 pm

The search box on the RoboForm toolbar. See attached.

Tom

RoboForm - LastPass Forums.jpg
tbam

Postby fharczuk » Sat May 02, 2009 7:49 pm

I really miss this feature also in roboform
fharczuk

Postby bTuna » Sat May 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Count me among those who find this to be a must-have feature in Roboform.

As a longtime RF user, I am transitioning to LastPass. As the OP mentioned, I too am very impressed with the product you've developed in such a short time, and am excited to see where it will go from here.

I hope that you will strongly consider adding a type-ahead search function to LostPass... it makes life so much easier, and I miss it greatly when not using RF.
bTuna

Postby JoeSiegrist » Sun May 10, 2009 1:14 pm

I took a stab at improving the toolbar search box in Firefox, I'd like feedback (e.g. do you want Google added?) before I continue and implement in IE: https://lastpass.com/lppre.xpi
JoeSiegrist

Postby h0pc » Wed May 13, 2009 12:08 am

I'd really like to see the search improve to be like this (Dash Command - a pretty cool program launcher). The green arrows are my addition to the screenshot to show that I've typed in a "W" and a "2". The search is smart enough to recognize my most likely choice (from frequency of use), but also give me other options that have a "W" anywhere before a "2" in the name. As you type more characters, the choices of course become more filtered.

-E
h0pc

Postby bTuna » Wed May 13, 2009 3:59 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:I took a stab at improving the toolbar search box in Firefox, I'd like feedback (e.g. do you want Google added?) before I continue and implement in IE: https://lastpass.com/lppre.xpi

Vast improvement, Joe. Looks to be on the right track.

As h0pc mentions, there may be ways to improve or enhance the feature. You mention adding Google... I can only speak for myself, but I prefer lean: I don't use search boxes, preferring to use the address bar or quicksearch shortcuts, but I can see the benefit (ie, since the LP toolbar is open and has a comprehensive search box, a user can disable the default search box to save screen real estate.) My only request would be that whatever features are added can be enabled or disabled by the individual (similar to how Roboform's search box works, yet again.)

Keep up the great work on this terrific product! =-)
bTuna

Next

Return to Feature Requests