Alternative way to AutoLogin and/or Autofill

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Alternative way to AutoLogin and/or Autofill

Postby DanHonemann » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Julian,

I commend you for the thoughtfulness and thoroughness of your design suggestions in this thread. I'll cast a strong vote for any/all of them; the idea of having a single button with multiple states is brilliant and perfect--if it could be the current lastpass button, so much the better (left-click auto-fills/logs in, while right-click brings up the current drop down).

It's these little annoyances/conveniences that differentiate products that are great but not quite there from products that rise to the top.

A side note to Joe: while I do make use of the auto-login feature, a disadvantage to this approach is that it never allows me to log off of a site (facebook, for example): if logging out brings up the login page (as is typical), then lastpass dutifully logs me right back in! The one-click button approach on a toolbar button that is always there but changes colors to represent its status is really the ideal solution.

Dan
DanHonemann

Postby dobesv » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:05 am

In Opera they have a pretty straightforward system for this called the "Wand" button, which just fills in all the passwords and form fields in can find. Seems to work well, I'd suggest that as a user interface.

Speaking of Opera ... and likelihood of Opera support?
dobesv

Postby pjb » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 am

DanHonemann Wrote:Julian,

I commend you for the thoughtfulness and thoroughness of your design suggestions in this thread. I'll cast a strong vote for any/all of them; the idea of having a single button with multiple states is brilliant and perfect--if it could be the current lastpass button, so much the better (left-click auto-fills/logs in, while right-click brings up the current drop down).

Dan

I think that is an excellent idea. Just keep the one button, but have different left and right click functions.
I like the way this could develop, especially as I prefer only to have the one icon in my toolbar. :D
pjb

Postby GollyJer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 am

I came to the forum to see if anyone else was frustrated with the LastPass UI. This thread was right at top, cool. LastPass had a strong enough value proposition for me to give it a shot, but the UI (after using Roboform for years) just isn't there yet. Along the lines of what Julian originally posted...
So what would these two extra toolbar buttons do? Well, it's pretty simple. One would be an AutoLogin button for logging into sites and the other would be an AutoFill button for form filling.
Roboform allows massive customization of their toolbar and his description is pretty close to how I have mine set up in Firefox. The functionality is perfect. Here are some examples:

The roboform (RF) toolbar starts after the purple K.
From left to right:
* Roboform menu (almost exactly like the current LastPass mini toolbar button).
* Page aware Logins section.
* "Identities" for form filling.
* Logins dropdown
Each of these can be removed and many more can be added.

For the page aware logins RF provides a powerful hover menu for choosing the desired login if more than one exists. The login specified as default is the one that shows on the toolbar by, uhhh, default. :P

The Identities section is for form filling. Again, RF aptly manages multiple settings within individual Identities. Simply hover over the button and you can see your options.

The last button simply provides quick access to recently used and all Passcards (logins).

Other nice features are the ability to set the default behavior for Logins and Identities. I have mine set to 'Fill and Submit' when I click a Login directly from the toolbar as that's almost always what I want to do. It's set to 'Fill Form' for Identities as usually I want to review a form with many fields to fill before submitting. Again, each of these behaviors are easily overridden by hovering over a button and choosing the opposite action.

The beauty of RF is once set up this way there are very few clicks. Even with sites where I have multiple logins, it's: hover, select login, click 'Fill & Submit'. Most of the time the default is desired and in those cases it's a simple click. Another positive with this approach is repetitive muscle memory. With RF, my login button is always in the same place no matter the site. With LastPass the form is autofilled but the login button is always somewhere different on the page.

Hopefully this is valued feedback. I tried to tell myself I wouldn't get this involved with other peoples software development this year... I can't help it when something as cool as LastPass comes along though. :) I'm excited to eventually use LastPass for the sharing and online storage capabilities.
GollyJer

Postby geoffb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:39 pm

I second ALL of Jeremy's post, where he describes how RoboForm allows the user to fill data on a page. As an existing RF user who sees the chance of a better architecture, I'm excited about LastPass. I think the concept of passcard data in the cloud (leaving aside trust concerns) is right in line with where the world is moving, and the fact that I can use it on my Linux box at home and my Windows box at work is stupendous.

I love hotkeys and use them extensively in general work, but as someone else pointed out - the web is a point-and-click place for most, and I still find myself using the mouse MOST of the time while browsing. Having a button for passcard fill (showing the name of matching passcards), and a button for form filling, would mostly solve it for me. The RoboForm-style interface would be a step better, since it can be customised, and there is a button for filling in from each 'identity'.

Looking forward to seeing what's next,

Cheers,
Geoff
geoffb

Postby JulianL » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:01 am

I'm the original poster who started this thread. I also second all Jeremy's observations EXCEPT for his enthusiasm for hover operations in Roboform. Hover is why I left RoboForm for SecureLogin. If one has a lot of web sites with multiple logins where there isn't really any one login that tends to be the default (e.g. personal and work logins to shopping sites or email accounts where usage between the logins is half and half) then having to hover the mouse over the login button in order to get the selection list to choose which login to use is frustrating and just a simple click on the button to immediately present the list is much better (rather than that click making the system attempt a default login that 50% of the time wouldn't be the login you wanted anyhow).

Jeremy and I needn't be at odds on this one, it would simply be a matter of LastPass offering a global setting whereby the user could select the action when the login (or autofill) toolbar button is pressed, either (a) execute the default login (and hence the user needs to hover to get the menu of alternatives) or else (b) don't attempt the default login but instead immediately show the choice menu on button click.... There are no prizes for guessing which way I would configure the option.

Unfortunately I'm getting less and less optimistic that any of this is going to get done. I see in the Feedback forum a recent thread entitled "Much better" where Joe says that v1.45 will have "Annoyance reducer: Don't offer to form fill/generate passwords/login to lastpass until you click on a form field. A lot of people have said we're too intrusive and we don't want to be intrusive -- we want to always make you more productive". First we had the option to move the notification bar to the bottom of the screen rather than the top and next it looks as if clicking in a form field will be implemented, both as "annoyance reducers". I really hope that eventually they get to implement the solution that is tried and tested and regularly used by millions of users (Opera Wand, RoboForm, and SecureLogin extension for Firefox), namely toolbar buttons, rather than seeming to want to re-invent a worse wheel. I'm not saying that the changes to the notification bar and the click-in-form-field improvements are bad, but I just hope that a closer variant of the solution that the participants on this thread are calling out for will eventually get implemented.

- Julian
JulianL

Postby GollyJer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:39 pm

JulianL Wrote:Jeremy and I needn't be at odds on this one, it would simply be a matter of LastPass offering a global setting whereby the user could select the action when the login (or autofill) toolbar button is pressed, either (a) execute the default login (and hence the user needs to hover to get the menu of alternatives) or else (b) don't attempt the default login but instead immediately show the choice menu on button click.... There are no prizes for guessing which way I would configure the option.
This is the perfect solution to accommodate both our preferred habits. I have to agree with everything else you say as well. I'm back to Roboform and using a secure file sync program to keep each of my computers containing the same set of passwords. Not the ideal world yet, but I'll take usability of Roboform (with sudo portability) over the portability of LastPass (for now).
GollyJer

Postby purplepoise » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:15 pm

DanHonemann Wrote:Julian,

It's these little annoyances/conveniences that differentiate products that are great but not quite there from products that rise to the top.

A side note to Joe: while I do make use of the auto-login feature, a disadvantage to this approach is that it never allows me to log off of a site (facebook, for example): if logging out brings up the login page (as is typical), then lastpass dutifully logs me right back in! The one-click button approach on a toolbar button that is always there but changes colors to represent its status is really the ideal solution.

Dan

I have the same problem with logging out and then immediately being logged back in. I can only log out (from facebook also, haven't checked many other sites. I'm new.)
purplepoise

Postby Julian » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:15 am

For anyone who still has notification set for this thread I thought, as the original poster, that I'd post some news that might be of interest to others who wanted the same feature as me, namely simple buttons on the toolbar that could be clicked to initiate a login or a formfill without having that annoying notification bar appearing all the time (i.e. like RoboForm or Opera Wand).

The feature we were requesting isn't in LastPass yet but I have been able to implement something myself in Firefox that, at least for me, is 90% of what I want and after a week or so of living with it I have decided that it is good enough to persuade me to move over to using LastPass as my login and form manager of choice after years of using Roboform, SecureLogin/AutoFill, and a brief experiment with Sxipper.

What I did is detailed in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10109&start=0). Essentially I do install the LastPass FF extension because then I get the highlighting for the fields that LP recognises and I get the notification bar interface for storing new password details but I disable all other notifications and instead I use the bookmarklet code to do the login and form fill operations.

Initially I just used the bookmarklets as they were intended, i.e. dragged them to my bookmark toolbar, but I didn't much like wasting space there when there was lots of unused space on my main toolbar, and I also felt that it was more consistent to have all my "action" buttons on the main toolbar, so I wrote a simple FF extension so that I could have two real toolbar buttons on the main FF toolbar that would invoke the necessary javascript code to do a login and a formfill respectively.

This works pretty well for me so if, like me, you've been really impressed with what LastPass could offer but just couldn't get on with the basic interface, then this might work for you as well. Just click through to that thread I linked to above to get instructions on how to create the custom FF extension and what code to paste in to invoke the bookmarklet operations required.

- Julian

P.S. To LastPass - I still hope that you'll see your way to implementing these toolbar buttons natively in the FF extension one day.
Julian

Postby GollyJer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Hey Julian. Thanks for keeping us updated.
If you haven't already, you may want to look into the Custom Buttons2 firefox add-on. It makes it really easy to implement buttons for placement anywhere in the browser.

On another note, sticking with Roboform has paid off. They aren't blind to the competition and have created Roboform Online which provides every feature of LastPass (as far as I can tell) except "Share With Friends" (which I can live without). Now with roboform you can get the superior UI and cloud synchronization.
GollyJer

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests