IE Tab extension in Firefox

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

IE Tab extension in Firefox

Postby david.kingham » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:30 am

I would like to see lastpass work with this extension when you switch rendering engines inside firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
david.kingham

Re: IE Tab extension in Firefox

Postby sameer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:26 pm

If possible, please use this extension instead: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1429

It has the same features with a lower footprint, and also has the benefit of working with LastPass.

Thanks,
sameer
sameer
Site Admin

Postby bb1950 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:13 am

Excuse me! The Firefox extension, IE View Lite 1.3.3,https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1429 does not have the same functionality as the Firefox extension, IE Tab 1.5.20081203,https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419.

In my opinion, IE View Lite 1.3.3, is a waste of time as it opens a link in an external application "Internet Explorer". Whereas IE Tab 1.5.20081203, allows you to change the rendering engine within Firefox when viewing a page from within a Firefox window or tab. The two are clearly not the same! If I want you use LastPass within Internet Explorer I would install the LastPass Toolbar to Internet Explorer!

The issue here is for the "Firefox extension LastPass" to work with the "Firefox extension IE Tab" to allow all browsing activity to occur from within Firefox (even to those sites that support Internet Explorer "ActiveX" functionality).

Therefore I consider it a "problem/bug" with the Firefox Lastpass extension and intend to post a comment on "Mozzilla Addons"!
bb1950

Postby h0pc » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:43 pm

bb1950 wrote:Excuse me!

Therefore I consider it a "problem/bug" with the Firefox Lastpass extension and intend to post a comment on "Mozzilla Addons"!

At least you have strong conviction!

-E
h0pc

Postby JoeSiegrist » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:06 am

bb1950 wrote:Therefore I consider it a "problem/bug" with the Firefox Lastpass extension and intend to post a comment on "Mozzilla Addons"!

Thanks for the review --

bb1950 wrote:The LastPass login and formfill functions do not work in windows/pages that have been switched to the IE rendering engine using Firefox Extension "IE Tab" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419).

This is technically IE Tab's bug (or feature) since it intentionally doesn't run any IE addons -- there is likely a way around this by running an executable that hooks the window -- that is sub-optimal (a HACK) but something we're considering. You should be filing this bug with IE Tab, not LastPass. Almost every addon on mozilla doesn't work in IETab, and we gave a workaround too.

bb1950 wrote:Like all form fill and password managers that I have tried, it gets very confused when dealing with different login scripts (ie. //addons.mozilla.org vs //bugzilla.mozilla.org).

How do you mean it's confused, specifically? We do what we thought was the best possible way to handle this: we store based on the TLD, then if you have multiple accounts we sort and fill based on the closest match of host, url path, etc. For me it gets it right 100% of the time on every site after the first login.

bb1950 wrote:It's automatic generation of passwords can be a real pain in the neck when trying to "sign up". Many times the log in for "signing up" is not the actual "log in". To retrieve the "secure password" generated for the actual "log in" can't be done. I have to end up send a request for a "forgotten password" and change the password to straighten things out. Very irritating! Needs to have a cleaner way to retrieve the newly generated password to use in a actual log in page!

We have so many ways to avoid this ever happening I'm shocked to hear you had this problem, and you likely misunderstood (which is the usability issue that we'll need to rectify):

- When you generate a password, we create a special account in your list 'Generated password for XXXX'
- That special account allows you to easy copy the password, the account is removed if we see you save a site with the same password.
- You can also reopen the generate password dialog and pull down the history to recopy a password you setup in the same browsing session.

I'd be interested in hearing in what steps lead to this happening as we need to make it less confusing.

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby dcc33 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm also trying to switch over from RoboForm to LastPass, because I'm not paranoid enough to NOT trust the encryption! And I want to use the web-centric cloud goodness to not have to even log into a usb based portable browser... though that is not too bad, not really a hassle. My biggest issue: I too am dependent on IE Tab to render my work email (OWA) which needs multiple views daily. Since RoboForm DID IN FACT work with IE Tab, I am hopeful that LastPass can also eventually work with it... It was as easy as clicking the RoboForm taskbar icon, choosing my web mail, and a new IE tab automatically opened, autofilled, and auto-submitted - sweet!

JoeSiegrist says the IE Tab developers need to make it compatible, but this thread says the IE Tab lead developer has quit the project
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=795
Anybody know anything more? Any developments on the LastPass side of things?
dcc33

Postby sameer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:00 am

We want to support it, but haven't found an easy way to do so.
From the looks of things, we'll need a dedicated application that is always running on your system in the background (aka tray icon app).
So, we'll get to it, but it will be released as part of our "Login Synchronization Across All Applications" roadmap item (https://lastpass.com/roadmap.php)

Thanks
sameer
Site Admin

Postby leruth » Tue May 26, 2009 3:42 am

I'll take a less fervent approach, but I'd also like to stress the importance of making this feature work. For LastPass to become what it surely hopes to be, it needs to work with the most up-and-coming browser and the addon of choice that most of us Firefox users employ to access websites that must be utilized via IE due to the activex imperitive of many IT departments.

So until the world gets off activex entirely (not likely), or Firefox is able to render activex natively (equally not likely), a growing number of users are faced with a dilemma that we solve with IETab. As was previously mentioned (and as I can vouch for) Roboform does work with Firefox/IETab. So, while I appreciate the genuine helpless frustration voiced by LastPass here regarding the focal point for a solution (i.e. IETab developers rather than LastPass... no pun intended) it seems that a bit of reverse engineering or industrial espionage could result in a real solution in LastPass itself, not just the workaround/hack hinted at here. It may be as simple as figuring out a different way to skin the cat, a completely different approach to the problem than you're pursuing currently -- the path that Roboform seems to see and employ.

In any case, if and when LastPass figures this out and stops giving the palms-up shrug to the problem, they stand to put all the other password managers out to pasture. So in my humble opinion, this issue should be the primary, front-burner issue the LastPass developers are working on. You wouldn't imagine the exponential the increase in interest in password managers I'm getting from my clients in the past 3-4 months. It really bothers me to have to say "if LastPass was fully compatible with Firefox..." and then tell them to use Roboform. I just can't recommend a car with a missing tire.

You have a much better concept for the typical SOHO/personal user. Too bad it has this big hole still. Hope you guys fix it soon. You'll get lots of users through me when you do.
leruth

Postby JoeSiegrist » Tue May 26, 2009 9:35 am

We're looking at it -- but we recommend you use IE View Lite instead for the time being to give us some time to fix it.
JoeSiegrist

Postby StraightShooter » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:05 am

How long of a time?

Really, I've been using Lastpass and I love it.. However, first you try to blame IETAB, then you tell us to use IEView, then you tell us you'll get around to it whenever..
StraightShooter

Next

Return to Feature Requests