Cookie syncing and protection

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Cookie syncing and protection

Postby theRamenNoodle » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:04 pm

My situation (and probably that of several others):

I work on multiple PC platforms (Windows and OS X) at home and at my office. LastPass certainly does an absolutely wonderful job of tracking my passwords and I love that I can change or create a new website login while at work, and then seamlessly use it at home. And while the new identities feature looks awesome, I still face an issue of cookie security. I don't want to leave myself logged into a site on my work PC, so I can set Firefox to clear my cookies when I quit, but then relaunching Firefox means having to relogin to any site I visit—but more than just logging in, I also have to choose languages on sites, reset certain tracking codes, I lose other sites' saved information, etc. You get the picture.

Unfortunately, I can't find any extension for Firefox that secures my cookies and authenticated sessions. Sure, there's an extension that requires a password before loading that stuff, but this can be bypassed by simply deleting the extension. I think that LastPass can do this so much better.

My suggestion/request

I'd love to see LastPass be able to encrypt and synchronize my cookies and authenticated sessions. If it can't synchronize them, at least encrypt them locally. If it can't encrypt them locally, then at least synchronize them so that I can clear them locally each time I exit the browser.

After all, what good is a password manager if my browser leaves me logged into the sites I visit?
theRamenNoodle

Re: Cookie syncing and protection

Postby JoeSiegrist » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:34 pm

theRamenNoodle Wrote:My situation (and probably that of several others):

I work on multiple PC platforms (Windows and OS X) at home and at my office. LastPass certainly does an absolutely wonderful job of tracking my passwords and I love that I can change or create a new website login while at work, and then seamlessly use it at home. And while the new identities feature looks awesome, I still face an issue of cookie security. I don't want to leave myself logged into a site on my work PC, so I can set Firefox to clear my cookies when I quit, but then relaunching Firefox means having to relogin to any site I visit—but more than just logging in, I also have to choose languages on sites, reset certain tracking codes, I lose other sites' saved information, etc. You get the picture.

Unfortunately, I can't find any extension for Firefox that secures my cookies and authenticated sessions. Sure, there's an extension that requires a password before loading that stuff, but this can be bypassed by simply deleting the extension. I think that LastPass can do this so much better.

My suggestion/request

I'd love to see LastPass be able to encrypt and synchronize my cookies and authenticated sessions. If it can't synchronize them, at least encrypt them locally. If it can't encrypt them locally, then at least synchronize them so that I can clear them locally each time I exit the browser.

After all, what good is a password manager if my browser leaves me logged into the sites I visit?

Both of these ideas have been kicked around here.... The ability to clear cookies off the current PC on logout and still use all your sites easily being the main goal, but with the idea that you can easily migrate your sessions too. Glad to know it's a problem for more people...

Thanks for the feedback,

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Re: Cookie syncing and protection

Postby knightnet » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:21 am

You could always run portable FF instead?

Either run it from a USB device or install TrueCrypt and run it from a secure container (looks like another hard drive to Windows). Better still, encrypt your USB device with TrueCrypt! Then your cookies and indeed everything else is very secure - and portable too.
knightnet

Return to Feature Requests