export backup file encrypted!

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

export backup file encrypted!

Postby nutmix » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:41 am

currently you can export your lastpass data as a CSV (completely insecure, will be read by any malware or viruses on your computer), or as an encrypted file which can only be imported back into last pass.

We desperately need a way to securely backup last pass, such that we can access the data if last pass goes away or looses all the data.

I.e. we need the option to export to a csv file, but this file is encrypted with a password you supply before you download it. i.e. download an encrypted file which only you can decrypt. Then any unknown malware or viruses on your machine dont have full access to all your passwords and accounts.

the file could be encrypted with any number of tools, e.g. gpg, windows encryption, cipher, encrypt depending on the users preference or the platform he is using. This would be an advanced option. You could even make it part of the premium production (i.e. not on the free one), or partner with some vendor or HW provider. Anything to get an encrypted backup of the CSV such that the passwords dont hit the computer plain text.
nutmix

Re: export backup file encrypted!

Postby FlyingHawk » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:25 pm

If your computer currently has malware on it, it's game over already. They can capture your master password, decrypt your vault, and do all sorts of things even without you exporting a plaintext csv.

If you just don't want plaintext passwords to hit your hard drive, use a RAM disk to write the csv, then encrypt it and save to hard drive, then unmount the RAM disk.

Also, the encrypted export file's format is understood.
See, for example, the parser tool I wrote here:
https://github.com/cfbao/lastpass-vault-parser
FlyingHawk

Postby jpenny84 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Since you are a Windows user, just export the encrypted file, and keep a copy of LastPass Pocket in the same folder. Pocket is a simple Windows executable and doesn't require installation.
jpenny84

Postby nutmix » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:33 am

Interesting. I am a Mac user, but are you saying that there is something called pocket which can read the proprietary LP encrypted backups? It looks like it will be soon discontinued, but would be a hacky way to make a secure backup, albe it requiring a windows computer to read the data for the current version - ill download it.

However, its till a major missing feature to be able to backup your data in a secure (non plaintext) maner for disaster recovery etc.

Having my life in lastpass with no DR backups is very very worrying, and plain text csv download could be digital suicide.
nutmix

Postby catsknit952 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 pm

When I try to export from the LP website, I do not get any choice of how it exports - I just get a webpage with all the sites, passwords, etc in a page of text. When I try to export from the Firefox browser extension I get a choice of "Last Pass CSV" or "form fills" nothing about encryption of any kind.
When I choose Last Pass CSV, I get the circle of waiting and then it says 'sorry it took too long' and goes back to login.
catsknit952

Postby FlyingHawk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:37 pm

You need to install the binary component to have all export options.
FlyingHawk

Return to Feature Requests