Authy to LastPass

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Authy to LastPass

Postby tazotodua589 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 pm

Authy supports backups & restoring.
I want to migrate from Authy to LP authenticator.
But as I have added there many sites, I cant manually treansfer my accounts.
If you developers will find a workaround (there should be some) to retrieve backup from Authy and then transfer it to LastPass Authenticaot, I will migrate to LP authenticator
tazotodua589

Re: Authy to LastPass

Postby jonat » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Why would you want to do that? I find Authy so much better, and it even has a desktop client.
jonat

Postby tazotodua589 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:36 am

jonat Wrote:Why would you want to do that? I find Authy so much better, and it even has a desktop client.

LastPass has all platforms support (even more): https://lastpass.com/download

my reason for migrating to LP is to have everything in one place - LastPass Password Manager and LastPass 2-step Authenticator,
I feel more safe with one place than having on two different places.
tazotodua589

Postby jonat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:46 pm

There is no data with LastPass Authenticator - it's a time-based protocol. The only advantage it has is the feature where it will prompt you automatically to approve, though that never worked for me. What I like about Authy is that it supports multiple platforms and (optionally) synchronizes the tokens across them.

Authy is not a replacement for LastPass, it's an alternative to LastPass Authenticator (and Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, etc.)
jonat

Postby tazotodua589 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Jonat, i dont understand the subject well, but can you give me (or point me to a blog-post) where I can understand what are differences between them and which one is better? I dont know what means that lastpass is "time-based" only... I assume that it lacks some features, that Authy has... ?
tazotodua589

Postby jonat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:36 am

LastPass Authenticator (I am NOT discussing LastPass the password manager!) is an implementation of a Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP) generator. It starts with a random seed that is set by scanning the QR (bar) code during the initial setup. After that, it computes a 6-digit code every 30 seconds based on the initial seed and the current time. When you log in to a service that uses TOTP as its second factor, the service knows the current time and the initial seed, and can run the same calculation as your app. The "authenticator" app does this calculation entirely on its own; all it needs to know is the (approximate) correct time. You can think of it as sharing a big list of "random" codes, with one crossed off every 30 seconds. The idea is that someone who doesn't have your list (app with seed) can't figure out what the current code is.

Google Authenticator made this popular, but there are several alternative apps that all use the same scheme and understand the same QR codes.

Some "authenticator" apps add value in other ways. LastPass Authenticator provides backup/restore and also, with some sites, it can send a request to your phone and the app simply asks you to confirm, rather than making you type in a code. Duo Security uses this as its primary method, though it can also do TOTP codes. I'll admit it has been a while since I tried LastPass Authenticator, but I never could get the auto-request thing to work.

What I like about Authy is that, not only can one do backup/restore, but it can also sync the seeds across different trusted devices. So if I am on my desktop (as I am now), I can open the Authy application there to copy a code that I paste into a web browser. (You don't have to use this feature, but I find it convenient.) I see that LastPass Authenticator offers a Windows Store app, so that's similar.

Again, this has NOTHING to do with the LastPass password manager other than that it supports TOTP as one of a variety of multifactor authentication options.

Back to your original question - none of the "authenticator" apps I know of provide a way of exporting or importing the seeds from a different app. If you switch apps, you'll have to disable 2FA on each site, then re-enable it with your new app.
jonat

Postby dfb1946797 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 am

hi jonat
you seem so knowledgable
i am looking for the best 2fa solution
thinking about yubikeys
google authenticator as it has a lot of backup options
but then again this may be bad for privacy as google is the antithesis of privacy
or doesnt this problem apply here
i think i actually accessed my account without google authenticator sending mr an authenticator

in addition do you know if lastpass is truly zero knowledge with regard to its password manager?
best wishes
jb
dfb1946797

Postby jonat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:28 pm

It depends on what is most convenient for you. While I have a Yubikey (three of them, actually), I use Duo Security for my LastPass 2FA. TOTP (Google Authenticator, Authy, etc.) is another choice and this is what I use for any other services that support TOTP (I use Authy as my client as I like that it works across multiple devices.)

Google Authenticator doesn't provide any information to Google - it's just a popular TOTP client and works entirely locally to your device. There are other clients, such as Authy or LastPass Authenticator.

If you don' trust using a phone and want a physical key, and only use devices where it works, then Yubikey is fine.
jonat

Postby dfb1946797 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:30 am

hi there
thanks for this response
i am trying to pin down a single elegant robust solution,
with google auth, people are afraid of getting locked out of their account but this risk can be mitigated by printing out the one time codes
authy gets rave reviews but seems a bit flimsy
maybe if i get to grips with authy, that seems to be the best overall all in one most compatible solution
i am just wondering if its best for securing ones lastpass account
best wishes j b
dfb1946797

Postby jonat » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:47 am

I have no idea why Authy should seem "flimsy", I don't use it for LastPass because I prefer Duo for that, but I have the paid LastPass service. Authy or another TOTP client that provides backup (and ideally multi-device) should be fine. Remember that 2FA is an additional defense layer should your master password become disclosed. How likely is that?
jonat

Return to Feature Requests