Remove Google Dependencies

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Remove Google Dependencies

Postby Indy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:40 am

I have a android phone which does not have any Google apps or services on it. I noticed the newer version of LastPass will not work on a Phone without Google Play or Google Cloud Messaging. Not sure what has changed but it always force closes and will not start. Can you fix this so that the app will work without Google?
Indy

Re: Remove Google Dependencies

Postby Indy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:18 am

LastPass will not work without the GooglePlay store installed on the phone. LastPass heavily relies on GooglePlay services. I have confirmed the newest LastPass will not work on an Android without Google Play. The LastPass app has been tested on a Copperhead OS phone and on a phone with the Lineage OS installed on it. Both do not have Google Play services. Both phones have Android 8.1 installed.

I am now forced to move all my Lastpass data over to KeePass DX just to use on Android. I would much rather use my 10 year subscription to LastPass on Android without Google spy services installed.
Indy

Postby Indy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:22 am

I have found LastPass app version 4.3.1017 works without Google Services/Play Store installed, however this is an older app which may have security vulnerabilities because it is older.
Indy

So much Telemetry and analytics in Lastpass

Postby Indy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 am

Why is there so much telemetry and analytics gathering in the LastPass app? I also can't even use the app if I do not have the PlayStore installed on my phone.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=312455&p=1049985&hilit=play+store#p1049985
Indy

Postby john475 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:41 am

I recently purchased an Amazon Fire 10 HD tablet. When I needed to install LastPass you cannot imagine how disappointed I was to learn that LastPass was not available on the Amazon App Store. It was not clear whether it ever was available - but for certain it is not there now. Google searches sent me to the Google Play Store - but download from there is not compatible with the Amazon Fire tablet. It does not support Google Play - and apparently that is by design on Amazon's part.

So I hoped to "side load" the LastPass app - only to learn that it is dependent on the Google Play Store. So not an option...

I went as far as hacking an install of Google Play Store on my Fire HD tablet. This might work to install LastPass, but sadly the presence of Google Play Store totally disables the GPS functionality of the Fire tablet. W/o GPS I lose the utility of MAP programs for navigation purposes. Likewise any APP that needs GPS location fails. It defaults to showing me somewhere in the Middle East rather than North Carolina!

So - what's the deal with LastPass and Amazon Fire tablets? Did you guys have a falling out and are punishing Fire tablet owners for your disagreement? Not a very good business model if you think about it. Android is open source. How hard could it be to gain compatibility with the Google App store? Sheesh..

I had always considered Amazon a LEADER in most of its endeavors. Obviously the Amazon Fire Tablet does not reflect this leadership.

Come on Amazon. FIX THIS...PLEASE!
john475

Postby jpenny84 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:14 pm

john475 Wrote:I recently purchased an Amazon Fire 10 HD tablet. When I needed to install LastPass you cannot imagine how disappointed I was to learn that LastPass was not available on the Amazon App Store. It was not clear whether it ever was available - but for certain it is not there now. Google searches sent me to the Google Play Store - but download from there is not compatible with the Amazon Fire tablet. It does not support Google Play - and apparently that is by design on Amazon's part.

So I hoped to "side load" the LastPass app - only to learn that it is dependent on the Google Play Store. So not an option...

I went as far as hacking an install of Google Play Store on my Fire HD tablet. This might work to install LastPass, but sadly the presence of Google Play Store totally disables the GPS functionality of the Fire tablet. W/o GPS I lose the utility of MAP programs for navigation purposes. Likewise any APP that needs GPS location fails. It defaults to showing me somewhere in the Middle East rather than North Carolina!

So - what's the deal with LastPass and Amazon Fire tablets? Did you guys have a falling out and are punishing Fire tablet owners for your disagreement? Not a very good business model if you think about it. Android is open source. How hard could it be to gain compatibility with the Google App store? Sheesh..

I had always considered Amazon a LEADER in most of its endeavors. Obviously the Amazon Fire Tablet does not reflect this leadership.

Come on Amazon. FIX THIS...PLEASE!

LastPass quit supporting Amazon devices at least a year ago. You may be able to download the app from the Google Play store and side load it.
jpenny84

Postby Indy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:32 pm

jpenny84 Wrote:LastPass quit supporting Amazon devices at least a year ago. You may be able to download the app from the Google Play store and side load it.

He just said he does not have GooglePlay on his device. LastPass once worked with devices that did not have GooglePlay, now sadly it does not. LatPass completely relies on Google Services. I now have to use an older version of the app to be able to use LastPass on my android device which does not have anything Google on it.

I wish LastPass would remove their reliance on Google services or at least assure their app works on devices which do not have GCM.

I know for a fact Version 4.3.1290 works without Google services, and maybe some newer ones than that. You can download older versions here:
https://mobile.softpedia.com/apk/lastpass/4.3.1290/
Indy

Return to Feature Requests