Slimbrowser support

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Slimbrowser support

Postby peedoe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:48 am

I use slimbrowser as my primary browser, but everytime I try and add the lastpass toolbar, the browswer crashes. It works fine with the roboform toolbar and not sure why it isn't working with lastpass. I can't really even evaluate lastpass until I can get it to work with Slimbrowser.

Thanks,
Peedoe :(
peedoe

Re: Slimbrowser support

Postby JoeSiegrist » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:35 am

Looks like slimbrowser crashes when sent DBID_BANDINFOCHANGED -- they'll need to fix that -- even if I avoid doing it it still tends to fail in SetSite(), so they probably have a good amount of work if they want to start properly supporting addons.

Their warning when you go to enable the plugin tells me they probably have not implemented their browser correctly.

I also verified that Slimbrowser can't execute bookmarklets either. Not a good sign.

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby peedoe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 pm

I looked at Slimbrowsers website for support (http://www.flashpeak.com) and came across this posting. Hopefully your program could comply with these design specs and still function correctly/fully???

This page is for IE toolbar vendors/developers who also wish to have your toolbars compatible with SlimBrowser.

The main difference between IE and SlimBrowser is that SlimBrowser is a MDI (Multiple-Document Interface) application while IE is a SDI (Single-Document Interface) application. The key point is to make your toolbar interact efficiently and correctly with SlimBrowser under a MDI environment.

To make your toolbar compatible with SlimBrowser, the following points should be noticed:

Expect a new site interface pointer when the user switches from one site window to another.
The site pointer is is passed by way of IObjectWithSite::SetSite(IUnknow *pSite). Be prepared to release your current site pointer and replace it with a new one. You should update your toolbar button status correctly based on the new site pointer. (As a point to note, Google toolbar doesn't update its page rank indicator correctly when the user switches to another site in SlimBrowser.) Only have the toolbar destroy itself when a NULL pointer is set, which indicates the browser is quitting. The common flaw of many IE toolbars is that it doesn't expect a second new site pointer or won't process it correctly. For such kind of toolbars, SlimBrowser have to recreate the entire toolbar when the user switches between site windows. That'll cause bad drawing glitches which is a great distaste to users.
Open new site windows by javascript instead of running another instance of IE
If you want to display some page in a new site window, create the new window by javascript, for example, "window.open(sUrl)". SlimBrowser will automatically capture the new window request and open it in a new child site window. Don't run another instance of IE to open the page. For example, Google toolbar insists on opening search results in new IE window, making it not 100 compatible with SlimBrowser.
Avoid using methods and objects supported by Internet Explorer object but not supported by standard Web Browser control
For example, ShowBrowserBar is not supported by Web Browser Control. If you call this method, it will simply be ignored.
peedoe

Postby peedoe » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:56 pm

I haven't seen any response to my last post about Slimbrowser's toolbar requirements. I am assuming that it is not being answered because you aren't compliant with their MDI requirements and NON-IE specific calls??
peedoe

Postby JoeSiegrist » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:11 am

peedoe Wrote:I haven't seen any response to my last post about Slimbrowser's toolbar requirements. I am assuming that it is not being answered because you aren't compliant with their MDI requirements and NON-IE specific calls??

I haven't had a chance to look in depth, but considering that Slimbrowser immediately crashes when you send it DBID_BANDINFOCHANGED my guess is there's going to be a ton of bugs in slimbrowser that will have to be worked around and it won't be feasible until we have the tray application which can attach differently (without SetSite).
JoeSiegrist

Return to Feature Requests