Passphrase option on the password generator tool

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Passphrase generator

Postby samst492 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:29 pm

fji=#4k'Df/o;sDFe45s => only works for copy pasting
UngStImPlATe => easy, to read or easy to say or first letters of pharses, weird symbol exchange strategies are all :(
crazy logout firetruck panel => is a much stronger password, that is for the human mind just for tokens to remember, faster to type. It is easy and cryptographically for a computer stronger than short weird stuff.

Please update the generate password feature to include passphares and not just the outdated approach of gobbledegook passwords.
Yes I know that was common practice to say just mash a bunch of weird Characters together because if it looks random to a human it must be a good password. But it is not and that is why apps like lastpass generate random stuff that you HAVE to copy and paste. That is fine for many online passwords.
There are though passwords that you need to type in regularly in places where auto fill is not an option (terminal, new device, new app, ..), for these we need secure memorable passwords.

I evaluated Lastpass because I wanted a password manager for my family that has sharing functionality and is more geared toward "normal" users. I like the less cluttered feel compared to 1password. However I am used to Enpass and Keybase which are both apps that are from a technical perspective years ahead.
Please take a look at Enpass for a good role model. They don't have any family plans but the app is a lot better. Though most of what differentiates it could be added by a handful of devs in 2 sprints
samst492

Re: Passphrase option on the password generator tool

Postby catdotgif » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:55 am

I see passphrases as a good solution for passwords that must be shared with other humans, like your SO or family. When I tell my spouse that the password to to login to the electrical utility to pay our electric bill is "b4h4u9O$p#NYIV4" you can imagine the look I get.

I know Lastpass has a feature to share passwords, but it's only useful if the other person is also using Lastpass.
catdotgif

Postby RRS658 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:16 pm

+1 for adding passphrase option to the password generator tool please.
Especially in the light of the latest NIST guidelines.
RRS658

Postby swturner33 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:45 pm

+1 as well. Long past time for this to be in place!
swturner33

Postby dlombard896 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:43 pm

+1 PLEASE ADD THIS.
dlombard896

Postby adobandito » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 am

+1 - I'd really love pass phrases.
adobandito

Postby MysticGuyver26 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Wow Really. Come on +1 for this too. heck you can probably work with any of the providers of the following websites to integrate with them. API with them, buy them out, whatever...

https://www.google.com/search?q=passphr ... e&ie=UTF-8

Just saying, if the issue is that it might take too much developer time internally, just throw money at the problem and buy it from someone else that's already done the work. :)
MysticGuyver26

Postby zork2112973 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:25 pm

+1. I’m also looking at 1password for this reason.

I’m starting to come across more sites that don’t allow pasting. It’s painful trying to enter these manually.

Also, see article by FBI :

https://www.zdnet.com/article/fbi-recom ... omplexity/
zork2112973

Previous

Return to Feature Requests