Passphrase option on the password generator tool

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Passphrase option on the password generator tool

Postby jgallias » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:46 am

+1 would like this added ASAP, and ideally with as many options as possible like this tool:
https://github.com/micahflee/passphraseme
jgallias

Postby connotate » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:59 pm

+1 here, as well. Passphrases, especially those separated by other characters, have been found to be much more secure *and* easier to remember. Several big sites now list the passwords like the ones LastPass delivers as "okay" or basically sufficient, but not "strong," and I've found myself needing to find alternate sources of password generation such as xkpasswd. I love this product and have used it for years; consequently, I would love to see LastPass keep up with security standards.
connotate

Postby LukeH796 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:15 pm

+1 from me too. I've been using LastPass for years and am looking at bringing the Enterprise version into my workplace. But passphrases would be a key feature to fulfil our security policy requirements.
LukeH796

Postby alistair776 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 am

+1 from me too. I'd really like to see this. Currently, I have to manually generate my passphrases elsewhere and enter them into lastpass. Isn't much of the point of lastpass to automate this stuff? Alistair.
alistair776

Postby stagnant » Thu May 30, 2019 8:45 am

+1 - Yes, please! I agree that this should have been done long ago. I feel like development has slowed over the last few years.
stagnant

Postby khloke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 pm

Bumping this yet again. While the random password generator is fine in most cases, there are times where I would need to type the password out (like logging in on game console, Smart TV, etc) where LastPass isn't available and it is an absolute nightmare. This makes me want to revert to a shorter password as doing this repeatedly can drive me insane. The pronounceable generator isn't good enough and I still find myself repeatedly referring back to the password. I bet a tonne of people probably reverteed to a duplicate short password of their preference whenever they encounter this. If LastPass truly cares about promoting good password practices, something like this makes absolute sense.

I'm guessing this hasn't been implemented because of "low demand", but I'm not sure if people actually know about such a possible feature to "demand" it. Do some focus group research, you may find how much people would love an easy to remember long password is.
khloke

Postby n0rig » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:59 pm

bump! This should be relatively easy to get added and would provide a large blanket of security immediately for your customers.
n0rig

Postby nwoliver40 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:10 am

Bumping this thread - Our corporate policy now requires passphrases - I also am very surprised that LastPass hasn't incorporated passphrases into their password generation tool. I now run 1Password for just that reason, and LastPass for all else.
nwoliver40

Generate password phrases

Postby Dudemann42 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:35 am

Please update the "Generate Secure Password" tool to include another option under Advanced to provide phrase generation. So a result might be "picketMoonsquirel%battery". Your blogs and some documentation already suggest this as being a good method for password generation, so it would be nice if this tool also provided that feature.
Thanks
Dudemann42

Postby blitzvergnugen » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 am

+1 to this request.

This would really make it easier to do passwords on mobile when it fails to autofill or is a 1-off scenario.
blitzvergnugen

Previous

Return to Feature Requests