Re-prompt for LastPass password grace period after login

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re-prompt for LastPass password grace period after login

Postby gabrieleliot577 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:59 pm

I love the re-prompt feature. It helps me feel secure that if i left my computer on, or my phone somewhere, someone couldn't easily just copy my actual passwords from my LastPass account without a whole bunch more work and my secure notes would remain safe.

However, this feature should have a "grace period," or at least an option for one, after an initial LastPass login.

Allow me to explain further.

Let's say, I'm already logged into LP but I need to access a secure note. LP prompts me for my Master Password again. On this re-prompt screen, it gives me the option at the bottom: Do not re-prompt for [dropdown specifying time]. Great feature, now, I can dial in 15 minutes or whatever and access several notes and passwords while only entering my password once for this instance window of time.

Let's compare this to me not being logged in to LastPass and needing access to a secure note.

1. I login to LastPass
2. I search for my note
3. I select "Copy Note"
4. I am re-prompted for my LastPass password

Please note that the time elapsed between me initially entering my LastPass master password and having to re-enter it at the re-prompt may be 15 seconds or less. I literally have to enter my password twice in the span of several seconds.

This is silly.

On the Account Settings page, where the user specifies re-prompt settings, there should be an option for something like:

"Don't re-prompt for [dropdown specifying time] after initial login"

This would be consistent with how the re-prompt works when already logged in and provide the best of both worlds:

1. When LastPass has not been used in some time, a re-prompt appears, providing extra security for a misplaced phone or an unlocked computer.
2. The user avoids having to enter the same password twice when he/she initially logs in

I have my LastPass auto log out after 45 minutes of inactivity anyway. So, it's frequently the case that I have to grab a note and I'm not logged in at all. In all these cases, I have to enter in a very long password twice in immediate succession to access anything. Please fix this!

Thanks for your time.
gabrieleliot577

Re: Re-prompt for LastPass password grace period after login

Postby rygo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:39 pm

+1
totally agree, it's very frustrating entering password twice in the space of a few seconds, should be be a setting like you say.
rygo

Postby gabrieleliot577 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks for the +1.

Since posting this, I've noticed that the Android LastPass app has exactly this feature. It's under Options -> Security -> "Skip reprompt after login" for x TIME

I'm assuming that however cumbersome entering a password twice in a row is on a desktop, it's excruciating on a touch keyboard. Still, the fact remains that this functionality would make it more convenient for all LastPass platforms.

PLEASE BRING THIS FEATURE TO THE DESKTOP LASTPASS BROWSER EXTENSIONS!

gabrieleliot577

Postby andrewjacob6 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:59 pm

Is there any progress on this topic?
andrewjacob6

Postby FirstAnd1st » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:57 pm

I would love to see this happen too. I have a really long secure password for lastpass, so this really is a pretty big annoyance (especially when I mistype that really long password) of an otherwise great extension. Seems like I have to do this double entry everyday, but I don't want to sacrifice security to get around it.
FirstAnd1st

Postby jonwallace599 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:54 am

agreed - this happens frequently for me using Chrome on Windows 10. Seems daft - is very annoying because it is soooo frequent.
jonwallace599

Postby philmaweb852 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:12 am

This topic is actually still relevant.
Has this feature been implemented? I can't even find a way to set re-prompt times in the account settings, meaning that I am re-prompted for all passwords. Would really love to have a timeframe of ~5 Minutes in which I do not need to enter my password again.
philmaweb852

Postby jonwallace599 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:51 pm

I absolutely agree. This IS still relevant and still aggravating. I run into this sequence daily and it always makes me grumble.
jonwallace599

Postby nicoloss » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 pm

I agree 100%. I've been a paying customer of LastPass for at least 5 years, and I'm annoyed by this at least once everyday. (I guess that adds up to thousands of annoyances, which is pretty sad to think about.) And of course, turning off re-prompt altogether is an insanely insecure solution.

LastPass! Are you listening? Please fix!!!
nicoloss

Postby Ergo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:09 pm

I have only been a lastpass user since July of 2018 (8 months) so I do not know off hand when these features were implemented or how long they were available before I joined. As far as I know, I have been using all of these features from day one of my subscription so I don't understand Nicoloss's comment above me from Mon Dec 10, 2018 complaining about something I am 99% certain was already there.
From the time of his comment, There are numerous reprompt, auto logout, auto login to site if last login to site was less than X seconds, settings in the Extension Options via browser icon toolbar and Account Settings in vault.
What I don't get is why everyone is bitching about needing a feature to skip Lastpass master password re-prompts while at the same time wanting to to keep Lastpass master password re-prompts enabled for the specific action they want to skip. Dude, if you have master pw re-prompts checked for changing Identities, or accessing secured notes, etc, then how in the hell are you expecting to skip re-prompts for that action? It doesn't make sense.
Just keep all master pw re-prompt boxes unchecked in the vault's > account settings > Alerts section and tweak your other login, re-prompt, logoff settings instead. It is very easy to set it up so that Lastpass logs off when closing browser, logging in from a different device, logging out after idle, skip re-prompts for a site within X amount of time, share login status between browsers. Nobody gets into my lastpass and I dont use reprompt settings for my master password and it is the most secure app/ tool I use. Master pw re-prompts are unnecessary if you are trying to secure a mia device. You can delete it from authenticated devices with multifactor authentication rules and many other settings which prove to be way more useful without being completely annoying and unnecessary.
Ergo

Return to Feature Requests