Firefox Multiprocess (e10) Discussion

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Firefox Multiprocess (e10) Discussion

Postby jpenny84 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Cyprus Wrote:And yes, LastPass is one of those add-ons. Considering this is a security (and performace) feature, one might think that LastPass, being in the same security business would only be to happy to support this feature, but so far it seems that has not been the case. What a shame.

It's been supported for almost a year since version 4 was released.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
jpenny84

Postby zeve » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:42 am

LastPass Firefox Toolbar

Version: 4.1.29
Built: 2016-09-02 10:58:19
Binary Component: true (ctypes version 4.1.2, built Mar 2 2016 16:10:06)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Multiprocess Windows 0/1 (Disabled by add-ons)

Lastpass is the only Add-on running. I have more add-ons installed, but all are disabled; if I disable lastpass, multiprocess works. Any suggestions? (Running FF 49.0.2)
zeve

Postby trparky » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Put the following into a new (or existing file) called user.js located in the Firefox profile folder.

user_pref("accessibility.force_disabled", 1);
user_pref("browser.tabs.remote.force-enable", true);
user_pref("browser.tabs.remote.autostart", true);
user_pref("browser.tabs.remote.autostart.disabled-because-using-a11y", false);
user_pref("extensions.firebug.a11y.enable", true);
user_pref("dom.ipc.processCount", 12); // Controls how many sub-processes will be spawned.
trparky

Postby Any » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am

It is important to note that this is not only on a preview version of Firefox. This is enabled on 1% of the userbase since Firefox 48 (though I am sure Mozilla has chosen those that would be unaffected by this). Also, this is said to be the future of Firefox so I don't see why LastPass wouldn't support it.

As multiple people have already reported, LastPass extension disables multiprocess because it is not compatible. Force enabling multiprocess sounds not fun...
Any

Postby trparky » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:23 pm

I've been forcing e10s support on my Firefox systems for awhile, most major extensions have no issues at all including Lastpass.
trparky

LastPass not optimized for new Firefox multiprocess?

Postby dustov » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:33 am

I just read of the new release for Firefox 50 which is finally going to bring Firefox into parity with other modern browsers with multiprocessing. But I saw this commnet at Ars Technica regarding this:
" I've been testing E10s for some time now. If you are seeing the exact opposite, it's most likely being caused by an extension. LastPass stands out as one to disable when testing....this one does indeed grind everything to a halt if multi-process is enabled."

Is LastPass optimized for the latest mulitprocessing improvements in Firefox? If not, when? I am a paid subscriber, but I might look for another service if Last Pass is bogging down Firefox.
dustov

Postby xumix » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:06 am

trparky Wrote:I've been forcing e10s support on my Firefox systems for awhile, most major extensions have no issues at all including Lastpass.

I got constant "Unable to connect to server errors" which is unacceptable
xumix

Postby Pernicious » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:54 am

In Firefox 51 (using macOS 10.12.3), LastPass from the official Mozilla add-on site (LastPass v. 3.3.2) disables Firefox e10s multiprocess entirely (shown by both about:support and the Add-on Compatibility Reporter). Downloading LastPass directly from lastpass.com, currently v. 4.1.35 is shown as being e10s compatible, and works for that session, however, when Firefox is restarted, Firefox permanently disables that version of LastPass as not being verified. Mozilla support indicates that the only fix to an unverified add-on is to contact the developer. This was the case under FF 50 as well. So the current option is use FF and LP 3 with e10s disabled, which is very slow compared to Chrome/Safari, or reinstall LastPass 4 everytime FireFox is restarted. If this isn't fixable I'll just switch browsers, LastPass works fine everywhere else.
Pernicious

Postby Korrekte160 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:59 pm

With multiprocess windows my Firefox gets completely unusable slow, because of Last Pass.
Disabling Last Pass fixes the problem.
And I also got the "Unable to connect to server errors" all the time.
The Inline-Autofill Features aren't working, if executed from within the line. They are working if executed by the Last Pass Icon, though.
Korrekte160

Postby b482 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:11 am

After enabling multi-process support in FireFox v51.0.1 LastPass fails with error message: "LastPass was unable to contact the login server, so you are now in offline mode. Some functionality may be limited".
I'm paid subscriber. If this issue isn't fixed I'm moving to another password manager. In all other aspects LastPass is a good product, but full FireFox support is essential for me. Sorry.
b482

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests