Firefox Multiprocess (e10) Discussion

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Support for e10s in Firefox

Postby dmitrijLP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:33 pm

garyshap Wrote:I have opened other support tickets in the past and they never even replied to them. I'm sure they are still out there.

From what I can see, every ticket that you have opened with us has been addressed. Our support replies to all of the tickets that we receive.

Regards,
Dmitrij
dmitrijLP

Postby garyshap » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Let me rephrase. Forum responses have been few and far between as well as email by LP personnel. If opening up a ticket is the only way to get an official LP response than that's what I will do.

I am an early adopter of LP and remember when Joe would personally answer questions on the forum. Not so much anymore.
garyshap

Postby garyshap » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:59 pm

It appears that LastPass works fairly well with e10s. It seems to fill in forms ok. It doesn't get you into the vault on startup if you have that optioned enabled.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that it hangs and crashes Flash very often. I did extensive testing with a clean Firefox profile and narrowed this problem down to LP. I tried the latest pre-build but that didn't help. Btw... the new pre-build turns all my context menus white and there is no select highlight color anymore. This happens in both e10s and non-e10s.

So it seems LP is almost e10 ready out of the box. The Flash crashes though are preventing me from using the e10s.

Another thing to point out is that there are two ways to run e10s. One way is to use the option in the File Menu to run e10s in a new window from a non-e10 window. The other is by enabling e10 permanently via the Options Menu. Be aware that these two methods are not equal. As an example, if I run an e10 window LP will not fill in any forms/passwords etc. My LP sites don't even appear on the LP context menu. However, if I enable e10 as my default, form fill does work and my sites show up in the LP context menu. The point here is that people reporting problems, as I did, might be running in an e10 window and therefore will have all the problems I mentioned. The only way to run e10s properly is by permanently enabling it.

With all this said it seems you might have an easier job to make LP e10 compatible. You seem almost there.
garyshap

Postby jpenny84 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:16 pm

LastPass does not interact with Flash so it's highly unlikely that's the cause. Since you're using a development version of Firefox, contact the browser developer so they can troubleshoot before reporting it as an add-on problem. This might be a good place to start:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1008768
jpenny84

Postby garyshap » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:21 am

Yeah I know about that bug report, I have posted to it many times. If you read the thread, at the end you will see that Mozilla has a few patches in the works that fix my problems. LP might be e10 ready without you even knowing it is,

It is the early alpha testers, like myself, that discover problems and notifies Mozilla through bug reports. In this case it appears we did LP a service by pointing Mozilla to the problem which turns out is probably not a LP problem.
garyshap

Postby smj825 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 pm

+10000 for e10s support!
smj825

Newest FireFox Developer version

Postby AndrewDHokie » Sat May 16, 2015 12:26 pm

They are doing something new with loading multiple background processes.

You are probably already aware, but this is breaking LP and causing many tab crashes. Also to get LP to work you have to do multiple page refreshes.
AndrewDHokie

Re: Newest FireFox Developer version

Postby GraceBT » Sun May 17, 2015 6:06 pm

I noticed this also, Apparently version 40 uses different screen elements are now
handled as separate processes. So, I am guessing that LastPass would need to know
which process to talk to. Sounds tricky. Anyway, LastPass AutoFill does not seem to
know who it's supposed to be talking to. You can try disabling the multi-process feature
in the options settings (un-select tools/options/general/enable multi-process).

-grace
NNNN
z
GraceBT

Re: Newest FireFox Developer version

Postby cgatesman » Mon May 18, 2015 10:26 am

Disabling the new multiprocess feature will get LastPass working, again, but this is definitely something LastPass is going to have to work on supporting. I've read some other major add-ons for Firefox are completely broken with this new feature/design (e.g. NoScript) and are struggling to support it. Luckily, it looks like Firefox makes it easy to switch between the two modes of operations which should give everyone enough time to add support for it.
cgatesman

Extension not work on Firefox dev with multiprocess enabled

Postby enboig » Thu May 21, 2015 4:20 am

Firefox is testing a multiprocess mode (firefox developer required). I am using it on ubuntu 14.04 and when I enable this option, lastpass extension don't show autofill for login forms.

More info at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis

To test it you just need to download firefox developer editon (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/c ... #developer), install lastpass extenion, enable multiprocess.
enboig

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests