AutoFill with empty password

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

AutoFill with empty password

Postby wfaulk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:13 pm

It seems that AutoFill doesn't work when the password field is empty. I would like to see this work.

There are some sites, like my banks, for example, that I really don't want to keep anywhere but in my brain, but I would like for the username to be filled in automatically.

This leads to another feature request, which is the ability to save login information without a password to begin with.

I'm sure that not wanting to store my passwords on LastPass is probably some sort of faux pas here, but I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.
wfaulk

Re: AutoFill with empty password

Postby Julian » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:41 am

Use the "Save all entered data" feature. I use this on a few sites myself. Go to the web page you want to use LastPass with and enter just the user name; don't click any buttons. Then select the "Save all entered data" option from the menu accessible from the LastPass toolbar icon. This should pop up a dialog box offering to save the data for that page, asking you what name to call it, what group to put it in - all the usual stuff for saving a login record. Now you should see that LastPass recognises the user ID field when it visits the page and will fill in just that field.

If you do this be careful to use the button in the LastPass notification bar that only fills in the login details, not the one that fills and then submits, otherwise LastPass will submit a login attempt with a blank password which I assume is not what you want. My biggest single complaint about LastPass right now is that it isn't possible to set a flag for an individual LastPass login (vault) record to tell LastPass to never attempt to autosubmit for that login even if the user presses the login-and-autosubmit button by mistake (my previously submitted feature request JSL01), which is exactly what you really need, but as long as you're careful which button you press when you want to fill in the field then it will be OK.

- Julian
Julian

Postby wfaulk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:40 am

use the button in the LastPass notification bar that only fills in the login details, not the one that fills and then submits

Is there no way to get LastPass to automatically fill in that data?
wfaulk

Postby Julian » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:37 am

wfaulk Wrote:
use the button in the LastPass notification bar that only fills in the login details, not the one that fills and then submits

Is there no way to get LastPass to automatically fill in that data?

Oh, I see. Sorry. I'd misunderstood. So whenever you visit the web page or select it from the "Sites" menu on the LastPass menu then you want LastPass to automatically fill in the user_ID field but to stop there, i.e. leave the password field blank for you to fill in and of course you don't want it to try and press any buttons to do a submit of the login details because that has to be left to you to do once you've typed in the password.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one so we'll have to hope that Joe or someone else from LastPass posts a reply. I would say (to LastPass) though that, if they did implement a "Never AutoSubmit" flag for the vault login records (the aforementioned JSL01) then the current mechanisms that do auto-login would instantly start doing exactly what you want if you also set the (currently non-existent) "Never AutoSubmit" flag for the sites where you want this behaviour.

One final point regarding your concern about storing the passwords themselves in LastPass. It isn't entirely a one-way bet in terms of reducing the risk of your passwords being compromised, it's a balancing act.

Despite all the assurances, it's always going to be true that not divulging a piece of sensitive information to any third party, however much you trust that organisation, will increase the privacy (security) of that information however marginally (and in LastPass's case that is only very, very marginally because the only thing you divulge to them is heavily encrypted data). However, don't forget to balance that infinitesimally small gain against the ways in which keeping your passwords in LastPass increases your security, possibly to an extent that outweighs the reduction due to putting them in LastPass. In particular, the ways that you might be compromising your security by not using Lastpass are: (1) You make yourself more vulnerable to key loggers that might infect the machine you are using, and (2) Lastpass makes it easier to use stronger passwords (because you don't have to remember them).

Just my two cents worth.

- Julian
Julian

Postby wfaulk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:50 pm

The thing is, though, that if I give a password to LastPass, I can tell it to autofill the form and then not submit it. If I remove the password, it won't autofill, even though that option is checked. My email from LastPass directly, again, implied that it should already work:

Just hit Edit Fields when you're editing the account and remove what you don't want.

But even if I remove the field, it fails to autofill.

Actually, it just occurred to me that, as a workaround, I can put in a bogus password and let it autofill the password field anyway. Then I can just overwrite it.
wfaulk

Return to Feature Requests