Windows 10 & Edge Browser Support

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Windows 10 & Edge Browser Support

Postby LSteven » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:04 am

My previous post about the bookmarklets was largely ignored, so I'll say it again. Bookmarklets do work in Edge.

It's not a great solution, even if only because it's difficult to create bookmarklets to Edge. Probably the easiest way to add bookmarklets to Edge is to import them from another browser. They work great once you found a way to add them.

http://i.imgur.com/ftB5TCR.png

@LastPass, are there any code tricks that the universal installer can leverage to create the bookmarklets on the users behalf?
LSteven

LastPass on Edge Step-by-Step using Bookmarklets

Postby peterg99 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Bookmarklets are used to add LastPass capabilities to browsers and, as noted by LStevens in previous posts, work in the Microsoft Edge browser.

Warning: As LP explains in Help, bookmarklets are not as efficient as a full-fledged plug-in. Although some login pages work smoothly (e.g. Netflix), others work partly (Facebook password only), and some do not work at all (e.g. Expedia). In my experience, I get most of what I use in Edge and a few still require me to log in EI 11.

Below, I have captured the steps I took to set up the LastPass Fill! bookmarklet on my PC with Windows 10 and IE 11 with LastPass plug-in. Hey, if I can do it, you can too!
1. Prepare Edge bookmark placeholder and display it in the Favorites Bar:
a. Open Edge and go to lastpass.com.
b. Click on the Favorites star in the top bar right. In the popup dialog, change Name to LastPass Fill! and, using the down arrow, change Location to Favorites Bar. Click Add.
c. Make the Favorites Bar visible by clicking on the ellipsis (...) at the top bar right end. This opens a dropdown menu with Settings at the bottom. Open Settings and flip the Show the favorites bar button to On. Click off to close the menu.
2. Obtain the LastPass bookmarklet code that will replace the content of the placeholder bookmark you just created:
a. Open the Web Vault from the LastPass page and log in.
b. In the Vault menu, open Tools and click on Bookmarklets. This will open a large popup window with an explanation about bookmarklets. Right-click LastPass Fill! and select Copy shortcut in the menu.
c. Open Notepad and copy the code (Ctl+V) into Notepad for later. No need to save if you just leave it open.
d. Close Edge.
3. Now you will paste the code into the Edge Favorites placeholder. This has to be done in the file system.
a. Copy the following (without the quotes):"%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites\Links"
b. Open File Explorer and paste (Ctl+V) the path to the LastPass Fill! placeholder file into the address bar. You should see the Internet Shortcut for the placeholder.
c. Switch to Notepad. Highlight and Copy all the code you "stored" in it.
d. Click on the LastPass Fill! placeholder file to select it. Right-click it, select Properties from the context menu, and paste the code into the URL field to replace the lastpass.com link. Click OK.
4. Start using LastPass in Edge for the first time:
a. Go to one of your sites to log in (in my case Netflix.com), make sure you have the login page.
b. Click on the LastPass Fill! icon in the Favorites Bar and you should be challenged by LastPass to log in. Use the link offered by LP to do so.
c. If your security settings are as recommended, you should next receive the message that your account settings have restricted you from logging into a new mobile device (if you don’t see this message, consider changing your Mobile Device security settings in your LP account).
d. In the LP Vault, open Account Settings -> Mobile Devices in the settings popup window. You should see a new mobile device you need to enable.
e. Click the Fill! bookmarklet in the Favorites Bar, log into LP once more and you are set to log into your site by clicking the bookmarklet again.
peterg99

Postby ourdoc » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:03 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! It works just as you said it would on most sites, thanks for the fix!!!
ourdoc

Postby rspen227 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:53 am

It is most disappointing not to be able to use LastPass in Windows 10/Edge. I have it in Google Chrome and Explorer 11. Is it Microsoft dragging the ball or is LastPass starring like a deer into headlights.

Since Edge is going to remain the staple with Microsoft for a few years what's the holdup?I depend on LastPass and want its availability in all current browsers. This far I've limited the use of Edge because of this situation. I wonder when it comes to renew, should I pay or find anther password protector to satisfy my request for security. That would be a shame since really like how it works. As any user should want is the most current protections for their devices.

Call me disenchanted.
rspen227

Postby jpenny84 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:21 pm

rspen227 Wrote:It is most disappointing not to be able to use LastPass in Windows 10/Edge. I have it in Google Chrome and Explorer 11. Is it Microsoft dragging the ball or is LastPass starring like a deer into headlights.

Since Edge is going to remain the staple with Microsoft for a few years what's the holdup?I depend on LastPass and want its availability in all current browsers. This far I've limited the use of Edge because of this situation. I wonder when it comes to renew, should I pay or find anther password protector to satisfy my request for security. That would be a shame since really like how it works. As any user should want is the most current protections for their devices.

Call me disenchanted.

Microsoft still hasn't enabled extension support for the browser yet.
jpenny84

Postby dbaps » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:05 pm

It is so disappointing that companies developing operating systems cannot take the time to work as a partner with someone such as lastpass beginning in the alpha/beta stage of the new operating system. If these companies would treat lastpass the way that Netflix is treated, that no one will use their product unless they include lastpass, something might happen. But this will only occur if Microsoft notices they are actually losing business by not including lastpass as an integrated part of their browser technology. Sounds like we must wait AGAIN! How cool would it have been for Microsoft to work out a two-factor authentication solution between Edge and Lastpass, straight, right out of the box. But then we would have to deal with the EU...
dbaps

Postby jpenny84 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:13 pm

dbaps Wrote:It is so disappointing that companies developing operating systems cannot take the time to work as a partner with someone such as lastpass beginning in the alpha/beta stage of the new operating system. If these companies would treat lastpass the way that Netflix is treated, that no one will use their product unless they include lastpass, something might happen. But this will only occur if Microsoft notices they are actually losing business by not including lastpass as an integrated part of their browser technology. Sounds like we must wait AGAIN! How cool would it have been for Microsoft to work out a two-factor authentication solution between Edge and Lastpass, straight, right out of the box. But then we would have to deal with the EU...

The browser is brand new, and not simply an updated Internet Explorer 11. Considering that, I'm not surprised that a feature or two was held back.

In the meantime, the other LastPass browser extensions and desktop applications work in Windows 10.
jpenny84

Postby kwkeirstead246 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:33 am

still waiting for an add-in for Edge. I have stopped using Edge because of this. What is particularly annoying is each time I load Waterfox is says my default browser is not Wateredge. I respond YES, then, I presume Microsort is re-setting it, possibly in Outlook. Very annoying. So is the problem with LastPass (taking time to produce the add-in, or is it that Microsoft is not cooperating? Or, is there by now an add-in but I have somehow not been able to find out how to download it?
kwkeirstead246

Postby jpenny84 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 am

kwkeirstead246 Wrote:still waiting for an add-in for Edge. I have stopped using Edge because of this. What is particularly annoying is each time I load Waterfox is says my default browser is not Wateredge. I respond YES, then, I presume Microsort is re-setting it, possibly in Outlook. Very annoying. So is the problem with LastPass (taking time to produce the add-in, or is it that Microsoft is not cooperating? Or, is there by now an add-in but I have somehow not been able to find out how to download it?

Not one company on the internet has an production or test version of an extension for Edge yet. This includes LastPass, Xmarks, Roboform, 1password, Adblock, etc. Again, Microsoft is still developing that function and hasn't enabled it.

You will have to be patient and wait a few more weeks. LastPass will get an extension out as soon as possible after Microsoft turns extensions on with the new browser.

In the meantime, LastPass for Internet Explorer 11, third party browsers, and the desktop programs are all Windows 10 ready.
jpenny84

Postby Buttercup230 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Three things become apparent after reading this thread:

A) Microsoft is not yet allowing add-on support in the Edge browser.
B) Lastpass is eagerly waiting to provide add-on support in the Edge browser.
C) Members and/or guests tend not to read through a thread before they ask a question that has already been answered.
Buttercup230

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests