SafeNotes

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

SafeNotes

Postby rblaiklock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:32 am

I'm a roboform user - looking to switch to LastPass to get the multi-machine capability.

I really like rf's SafeNotes feature - for those who don't know it's an encrypted notepad to store stuff. I use it for credit card numbers, etc.
rblaiklock

Re: SafeNotes

Postby sameer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:36 am

Hi rblaiklock,

Currently LP has a "notes" section for each site where you can enter arbitrary text of any length.
You can do this for your existing sites that you either imported from RoboForm or added using LP.
Again, all of this data is encrypted locally.

If you want to do this just for data that isn't associated with any particular URL (ie: a note that isn't associated with a url),
then you can do so by manually adding a site using the "Add Site" button in your accounts page at https://lastpass.com/ (second button on the left).
You can specify an arbitrary name, group, username and password as well - so long as you leave the URL blank the site will never
be used to autofill web forms.

(I personally currently use this feature to store my locker combination, garage door combination, SSN number, and telephone PIN codes)

While the functionality exists today, We'll work on improving the user interface here and the functionality.
- Easier editing/adding
- Better searching
- Better clipboard integration
- Ability to store non-text data such as images and arbitrary files (though we'de likely limit the length)
- Better import capability from existing safenote type applications

If you have any suggestions of what direction you'de like our "notes" feature to take, please let us know.
We're easily swayed by good ideas and really want to build not what we want, but what our users want.

Thanks for using LastPass!
sameer
sameer
Site Admin

Postby schlice » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:42 am

Sameer,

I too am a recovering RoboForm user. The great thing about SafeNotes was that they were separate in structure from login passcards: they didn't have any of the additional form fields available (user, password, url, etc). It was nothing more than a name and a text box. In our case, it would be nothing more than a name, a group, and a text box.

We'd also need a good mechanism to be able to view them as well. Currently, the only way to view the Notes entries that you describe (which I implemented by the way -- thank you) is to edit them. I'd like to be able to click on a Note entry and not have it complain that there's no associated URL (I know there's not). I'd just like it to pop a small dialog with the note's information (name, group, and text field). Hopefully such a mechanism would be available through the toolbar as well as the website.

Thank you for listening, and I've only used LP for a day now, and already I'm liking it more than RoboForm.

-bill
schlice

Postby net4ward » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:49 am

I also would like to see an improved Safe Notes type of feature support.
net4ward

Postby sameer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:40 am

Just a quick update:

This is on it's way and will be available by next week.
If you would like to be the first to try it out and help test it, join our prebuild team at https://lastpass.com/pbt.php

thanks,
sameer
sameer
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests