A feature to display the number of digits of password / note

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

A feature to display the number of digits of password / note

Postby mail284 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:47 am

Often websites requires authentication by entering the X digit of a password. On long passwords its very difficult to count the digits quickly...

1) Feature to display the password with the digit number. E.g.

1) P 2) A 3) S 4) S 5) W 6) O 7) R 8) D

2) Extend the above feature to unlimited sub=passwords in the notes section

Thank You
mail284

Re: A feature to display the number of digits of password /

Postby Lars » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Such use of passwords is not recommended at all. It shows you, that they are storing your password in cleartext = major no go!
Lars

Postby mail284 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:16 am

I dont think so.

The logic simply divides the password into a grid on display... this is after the data in unenrypted. Nothing to do with storage.
mail284

Postby mail284 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:41 am

Sorry Lars - i understand from the other thread you are refering to the other website not being secure, rather than Lastpass.
mail284

Postby p8o7Ht2VTvNA » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:51 am

mail284 Wrote:Often websites requires authentication by entering the X digit of a password. On long passwords its very difficult to count the digits quickly...

1) Feature to display the password with the digit number. E.g.

1) P 2) A 3) S 4) S 5) W 6) O 7) R 8) D

2) Extend the above feature to unlimited sub=passwords in the notes section

Thank You

I can chime in to vote for this option as well. This seems to be a very common and annoying implementation for many financial institutions in the UK (presumably because they will ask you to name certain digits over the phone in case you need to call in). A simple mechanism feature that can rattle of the characters for a given sequence of digits that you provide would be very useful.
p8o7Ht2VTvNA

Postby Lars » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:36 am

mail284 Wrote:I dont think so.
The logic simply divides the password into a grid on display... this is after the data in unenrypted. Nothing to do with storage.

If they are able to verify a specific character in your password, they are storing it in cleartext - there's no other way it would be possible.
Lars

Postby GMFuller761 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:30 am

Is it possible that when you create the password they could be splitting the password into its individual characters and encrypting and storing each one separately?
GMFuller761

Postby Lars » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:36 am

A password with the length of 1 character is absolutely useless - which is why the longer your password is, the better. (generally speaking)
Lars

Postby mail284 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:06 am

You can quite easily store the password encrypted and then decrypt and store in the cache temperatily - whilst you handle the digit request.

But we are misisng the point here - this is implimented in all banks across Europe, as an element of multi-part security... Understanding this string will not get you access to my account on its own.

Does anyone know of any other products that do this since lastpass is unwilling to implement?
mail284

Postby dmitrijLP » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:14 am

mail284 Wrote:Does anyone know of any other products that do this since lastpass is unwilling to implement?

That is totally not true.

We do log reports for the following suggestion, just like the following forum thread, but from my personal web development skills, I don't really see how this is an easy to implement feature/suggestion.

From a technical perspective this is actually quite a complex feature request and I'm sure it is far from easy to implement that would actually make it useful, convenient and fully functioning not just for a single financial website, but for multiple websites, across multiple regions.

Regards,
Dmitrij
dmitrijLP

Next

Return to Feature Requests