Generate E-mail Addresses

Tell us what features would make LastPass even better and vote for features that are most important to you

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Generate E-mail Addresses

Postby incoherent » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 am

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but wouldn't it be nice if LastPass in addition to generating secure passwords also was able to generate email addresses to use for registration?!

This way, LastPass would simplify privacy protection since I don't have to use other services for this such as e.g. BugMeNot. It will also provide traceability since I know exactly where I registered with that email address and can easily see if a company sells my address to someone else...

By default these email addresses could be set up to forward any emails to the address used for LastPass registration. However, with this feature could come the ability to block any address generating spam messages.
incoherent

Re: Generate E-mail Addresses

Postby JoeSiegrist » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:36 am

incoherent Wrote:Don't know if this has been brought up before, but wouldn't it be nice if LastPass in addition to generating secure passwords also was able to generate email addresses to use for registration?!

This way, LastPass would simplify privacy protection since I don't have to use other services for this such as e.g. BugMeNot. It will also provide traceability since I know exactly where I registered with that email address and can easily see if a company sells my address to someone else...

By default these email addresses could be set up to forward any emails to the address used for LastPass registration. However, with this feature could come the ability to block any address generating spam messages.

Yes, we like this idea, might be a premium only feature though...
JoeSiegrist

Re: Generate E-mail Addresses

Postby Merlin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Instead of putting it within lastpass's purview, why don't you just do this with a gmail or google apps account?

Gmail does not read .'s or +'s within its usernames, so for example if you signed up for amazon it would be:

merlin+amazon@gmail.com OR merlin.amazon@gmail.com (some sites don't allow +'s in emails)

All emails from Amazon would come straight into your account, no third party involved, and you have finite tracking. Lastpass makes it easy to remember the custom email address you used for each different site. This way you can also set a filter to pull all emails from amazon into a specific label, etc.
Merlin

Return to Feature Requests